The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently picked up my strat after having it serviced at a local shop. it seems they have a cat there, because i had a pretty intense reaction when i played my guitar after bringing it home. it makes my eyes have bubbles on the surface and they itch and tear up and swell. i sneeze alot, skin gets blotchy, the whole routine. so now it sits in my case. i suppose i'll have to change the fresh strings and clean the guitar AND the case, inside and out. my question is, what should i use? anything different from what i normally would?
how do i clean the case?

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
I have an anti-allergen spray I shipped in form the states that I used to use to clean mattresses professionally. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It's currently at my office, so I wont find out for a couple of days.

If you can't find anything that'll work, let me know and I can give you a jug - I don't use it anymore. It should work like a charm.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Cat dander (if that's the problem) should wash off with almost anything you use. A damp cloth/towel dry should be fine. Vacuuming the case well should get it out of there quite nicely.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, then i will make the attempt tomorrow night after work. that way, my eyes will probably be ok by the next day if i'm careful

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
wow that kinda sucks!

I am allergic to cats as well, have run into similar things but not from a guitar shop! :D

usually it's someone at work who is wearing a shirt that has cat DNA all over it

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Have you said anything to the people responsible?

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
@cheezyridr: Take an antihistamine such as Allegra 30min before you work on it. Save yourself the misery.

@bolero: DNA is close, but allergens are actually proteins, which are coded by the cat DNA you mention. But DNA is not protein. Just FYI, hope I don't sound like a know it all, just a very significant area of interest for me :).

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you said anything to the people responsible?

i sent them an email, but i don't expect any response from them. i don't normally shop there because i don't like the place, and they usually make snide comments about me only buying strings. i let them do a set up on my strat because they were close and the price was reasonable. they otherwise did a good job, the guitar plays well. i saw the cat when i went in to drop off, but it just didnt click.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Did the cat do the set-up? 8P

Unless they left the case open for the cat to curl up in, that's weird that it would have that much affect.

Maybe it was the pedals I sent. 8)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
That sounds like a severe allergy indeed.

If you have a vaccuum with a HEPA filter (most newer vacs do) I think a good vac session (outside if possible) would probably do the trick on the case. If your vac doesn't have HEPA, then definitely vac the case outside and get rid of the vac bag (if equipped) or empty/clean out the dirt cup (rinse/wipe out as well)

Outside cleaning of the guitar would be a good idea as well because then you simply have more space to have the irritants dissipate along with not depositing any of the irritants in your home. I think the strings and everything else could be cleaned really well with a quick mist of rubbing alcohol. I use rubbing alcohol to clean everything so for me, it is my go to recommendation - possibly because I have a spray bottle full of it nearby.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
"@bolero: DNA is close, but allergens are actually proteins, which are coded by the cat DNA you mention. But DNA is not protein. Just FYI, hope I don't sound like a know it all, just a very significant area of interest for me :)."

yes I know it's apparently the dander, I was just joking ;)

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, the reaction was severe, the cat probably curled up in the case. who can blame the cat though? if i could fit in there, it does look like a good spot to curl up and have a nap.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hahahahaha that's great!

my own dogs have laid in the case before, but just not that case. one of them is such a spoiled princess she is always looking for a soft spot. laundry is warm, and smells april fresh!
sophalicious.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey cheezyridr, did you ever get this issue resolved? I've been having a similar issue with a guitar I recently acquired (previous owner likely had cats), where it seems to trigger an allergic reaction whenever I play it. I also made a terrible decision to store my other guitar in the case it came with, and so now I have two guitars that trigger my allergies.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey cheezyridr, did you ever get this issue resolved? I've been having a similar issue with a guitar I recently acquired (previous owner likely had cats), where it seems to trigger an allergic reaction whenever I play it. I also made a terrible decision to store my other guitar in the case it came with, and so now I have two guitars that trigger my allergies.
i put gloves on, and thoroughly cleaned the entire guitar. that cured it for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts