The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Case For Les Paul Junior Single Cut

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Wardo 
#1 ·
Will the L&M LP case fit a junior or will the guitar be flying around inside ?

If not a good fit then what other options for a hardshell ?

Thanks

#2 ·
Had my '55 in a generic L&M case until I came across a good deal on a chainsaw case.

The only thing I would worrry about is putting an SG in a Les Paul case since the thinner body tends to angle the neck too far upwards, which may place some stress on the headstock when you close it.

#3 · (Edited)
You can order a Junior spec Les Paul Yorkville case.
The neck angle on a junior is under 2 degrees whereas a standard Les Paul is over 4 degrees.

This results in either the headstock not being supported with the typical dual neck support style cases or the body being poorly supported should the lid push the neck flat against the suports.
The easy fix is a folded hand towel under the body of the guitar, lifting the neck into the proper position.
A chainsaw case is not the best solution for a Junior.

#4 ·
My buddy collects vintage (50's-60's) LP Juniors. He uses the generic L&Mc cases. For the SG style he (also) puts a towel under the body to lift it a bit and alleviate some of the stress it would have on the neck. It's kinda cool... he has some with the original cardboard cases.
Last I saw the collection (been some time) he noticed the airtight(ness) of the cases was causing some "flaking" of the original tuners. Can't remember his fix though.... I will reach out and re-post.

#5 ·
Went to L&M looking for a case for my LP Special Single Cut last month. Nothing would do without the use of a towel to lift the guitar up for a snug fit.

Gibson makes a hard case (in gold) for LP Jr./Special. L&M quoted me $329 and it would take about 8-12 weeks to get it.

TKL Cases in the US also has two types of hard case for the Jr./Special, but they are nowhere to be found in Canada. One online US retailer quoted me $100 just for the shipping cost. I heard TKL cases are made in Canada, though.

The search continues.........

#6 ·
Yeah, I phoned Yorkville today and the spec case is a special order costs about 320.

Looks like I’ll get something and put a towel in there.

L&M said the Yorkville archtop case is disco for now so they only have the cheaper case.

Cosmo has a better quality LP case from some place in Montreal for 100 can’t remember the name and would have to order it.

When I was in grade school back in the 60s I took my classical guitar everywhere in a green garbage bag - life has become complicated now.

#7 ·
I have a soft case for my Jumior, I will try it in my yorkville case and see how it fits

#8 ·
Unless things have changed, all these cases mentioned above come from the same place - Boblen Cases in Montreal.
They make them for Yorkville.
They make them for TKL
They make them for Gibson.

There are a few different versions in terms of Tolex, padding, latches, arch top or not, but they all do the job.
I think Yorkville has a stripped-down, plain vanilla, black Tolex, flat-top version made for them that is really good bang/buck.

Boblen doesn't deal directly with the public - they are represented by Geo. Heinl., who do sell direct. Not sure if Heinl sells the stripped-down version.

#9 ·
Yeah, the Cosmo site shows an HSLP case which on a google search came up as Boblen. For $5 more it's a nicer case than the basic Yorkville. Followed up on it a few days ago with Cosmo and they said 3 weeks to get it.

All I need is a case, not gonna be going far with it so probably just get the basic LP case and put a towel in there or whatever.

Picked this guitar up used for cheap and liking it just need a box to put it in.

#10 ·
Got the $90 Yorkville case seems to fit OK. There's a foam ridge inside the lid that runs from about where the bridge is to the nut so the guitar doesn't move around although I suppose the neck angle could be an issue if the case got dropped hard or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.