The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with Carvin combo amps? There are a couple of good deals up on E-bay and I'm wondering if one of these Carvin's would compare favorable to s Fender Twin or Vibrolux.

Jeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
Carvin's are known for their clean channels, which is really warm and sparkly sounding. although most of the distortion channels use clipping diodes. This can give you the effect of using a tubescreamer over a clean channel. Some people really like that sound, but personally I prefer straight tube distortion. The Carvin Legacy and the Carvin V3 combos do not use clipping diodes so the distortion is really nice. For the Carvin MTS, Belair, Nomad, Vintage 16 they all use clipping diodes, but there are mods that people do on their Carvin amps to remove the diodes. Apparently it's pretty simple. Some of the older Carvin amps don't use clipping diodes though like the X series and the Valvemaster series I believe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carvin Amps

Thanks for the info. From your description, it sounds like a used Carvin might be a bargain alternative to a Fender Twin. I'll keep my eye out for onw.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts