The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been searching this site as well as others and I wanted to know if anyone has ever built an acoustic with a carved top. It seems to me that it could give more volume and a bigger sound especially from a small bodied guitar.

I have an AMI parlor guitar with a bolt-on neck and I figured I could remove the neck and use the body as a pattern to mold the sides to which I could then glue on the back and top.

Is this feasible or just a pipe dream? It's not a necessity for me, just a winter project I could do to pass the time. I know violins and others instruments have carved tops so why not guitars.

What's the consensus?

Happy holidays and cheers to you all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds interesting.

Do you have the tools and have you done any acoustic guitar building in the past?
No, at this stage it is just an idea I've been mulling over. I thought that someone else may have done something similar and could give me some pointers. The woodworking tools would be relatively easy to acquire and the build would be a learning experience. I don't do much these days other than play for my own benefit. I still feel some guilt over not having to go to work since I've retired and I'm really not one to stay idle. It's just something to consider to while away the winters here.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Check out
Tele Home Depot

Im sure Ive seen one done there before.
It s a great resource for building your own, with some really talented people contributing...including Ron Kirn & Gil Yaron

Nathan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've searched through that site although not thoroughly. I may have to google it with tele as a key word and that may bring up more relevant hits.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts