The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm traveling to the US this summer and may pick up a guitar. If I buy in the states, do I need CITES documentation to take it over the border? I

·
Registered
12,168 Posts
I'm traveling to the US this summer and may pick up a guitar. If I buy in the states, do I need CITES documentation to take it over the border? I
you shouldn't if you are carrying it with you. I think that has been mentioned somewhere here but I can't remember where. I bought two rosewood necks and brought them over in April and no issues

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
From the Head of CITES Permits Policy:

If you pickup and bring the guitars home yourself, there would be no permits required. When items are shipped, it is difficult for us to validate the claim of personal use, so we do not allow shipments to travel under the exemption allowed for rosewood items. It is too difficult to implement correctly.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
The answer is no. I have done it a couple of times. They don't even ask except for their HST. They always want that.:)

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
The answer is no. I have done it a couple of times. They don't even ask except for their HST. They always want that.:)
Not quite. If you are in the US for more than 48 hours, you have a duty-free exemption of $800 (Canadian dollars) per person. You should always have receipts that show the value of what you purchased to back up your verbal declaration, in case you are asked to show them to the Customs agent (which rarely happens).

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Not quite. If you are in the US for more than 48 hours, you have a duty-free exemption of $800 (Canadian dollars) per person. You should always have receipts that show the value of what you purchased to back up your verbal declaration, in case you are asked to show them to the Customs agent (which rarely happens).
Correct. I rarely stay over in the States now and didn't think about that. What else is good about the free exemption is if you bring your spouse along, it is $1600.00 and I think it's $400.00 if you've been there for 24 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts