The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got carpal tunnel syndrome working in construction many moons ago, from jackhammering and digging in rocky earth with a pick

I had my right arm operated on, but it took months to heal and was so brutal I didn't bother getting my left arm done. so only had surgery on my right hand

well my left has started bothering me a lot more now, to the point I cannot play guitar. and I am getting the pain at night, which interrupts sleep

am strongly considering getting my left arm done

have they improved surgery on this? I've heard they have a laser procedure now, so they don't need to hack your hand open like before?

how long is recovery?

thx

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I have not but my Father-in-law had problems with one of his hands years ago and they made him a splint which he wore when he went to bet. It took awhile but he is fine now. He got it from playing the organ and piano and likely his keyboard.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I had it done in my right hand! It was a breeze! I had visions of not playing my guitar for months! That stressed me out to no end! I was playing 24 hours after surgery!

My surgeon was amazing! He cut into the palm of my hand exactly where the natural lines occurred in my hand! You can't even see the scar! This surgeon also performed surgery on my ulnar nerve in my left arm and took out a huge ganglia on my left foot!

I wouldn't worry about it! I did have a little discomfort afterwards. I took the prescribed pain killers for two days and then Advil xtra strength.

BTW I had this done two years ago!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow!!

that is encouraging to hear. thanks guys!!

I have always suspected my original surgery was contracted to a butcher, since it was workman's comp :(

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
A friend had the surgery a couple of weeks ago - he's been very pleased with how it's gone so far. Don't know if it was done with lasers, but I don't think it was very invasive. If I think of it, I'll ask him more about it next time I see him.
I saw him this morning. It's been almost a month since the surgery and he has full motion, but can "still feel that he had surgery". He had a soft cast on for three weeks, which is apparently longer than usual. He also has about a 2 inch scar at the base of his palm.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I saw him this morning. It's been almost a month since the surgery and he has full motion, but can "still feel that he had surgery". He had a soft cast on for three weeks, which is apparently longer than usual. He also has about a 2 inch scar at the base of his palm.

Some people have different reactions to this surgery.

My scar is super thin and about 1/2" long. 2 inches is huge. You can't even see where the scar is unless you look very carefully.

I hate casts. I had a soft cast on that lasted less then 24 hours.

When I had the surgery on my elbow for Cubital tunnel syndrome I had a hard cast on. I honestly couldn't handle it. I got my husband's cutting pliers and ripped it off. It was causing me major panic attacks. I kid you not. I was desperate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts