The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,138 Posts
You could always just keep a can of Slime or some other tire inflator/puncture sealant in the car. Thats what guys in my sports car club do, as theres very little room for stuff in our cars, and issues are unlikely.
Between that and the spare tire in the car, and of course, youre doing monthly checks of air pressure on your tires, and possibly a roadside assistance membership, you should be ok.

You seem to have a disproportionate amount of issues with your wheels though

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You could always just keep a can of Slime or some other tire inflator/puncture sealant in the car. Thats what guys in my sports car club do, as theres very little room for stuff in our cars, and issues are unlikely.
Between that and the spare tire in the car, and of course, youre doing monthly checks of air pressure on your tires, and possibly a roadside assistance membership, you should be ok.

You seem to have a disproportionate amount of issues with your wheels though
View attachment 363796
The issue was resolved. The twisting of the wires on the tire inflator had caused the rubber to crack allowing the two wires to touch and short out.

It's my understanding that once you use that slime stuff, your tire is effectively ruined. It's a last resort option.

·
Premium Member
11,138 Posts
It's my understanding that once you use that slime stuff, your tire is effectively ruined. It's a last resort option.
I think thats highly dubious, if not absurd. Slime/fix a flat products are meant to be used temporarily if you have a puncture, to get you home/a tire shop. at which point the shop will wash out...it remains liquid for a long time. Ive used it on bike tires and seen first hand what the stuff looks like a couple months later.
now, if some cheapskate/fool thinks its a permanent solution, well, stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: oldjoat

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think thats highly dubious, if not absurd. Slime/fix a flat products are meant to be used temporarily if you have a puncture, to get you home/a tire shop. at which point the shop will wash out...it remains liquid for a long time. Ive used it on bike tires and seen first hand what the stuff looks like a couple months later.
now, if some cheapskate/fool thinks its a permanent solution, well, stupid is as stupid does.
Sounds like you are right as long as you get the stuff cleaned out soon.

"If you use a tire sealant, you should get the tire professionally repaired or replaced as quickly as possible—typically within 100 miles or as directed by the product.
Sealants coat the inside of the tire and wheel with a messy residue, which a tire shop has to clean out, possibly causing extra expense. They can potentially gum up the tire-pressure monitor sensor (TPMS), if so equipped, risking erroneous readings. Most products specifically claim that they are TPMS safe."

41 - 44 of 44 Posts