The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
the unit is a cigarette lighter socket ... the units only draw XX amps ... that's what they are designed for ( and rated ) by the engineers of Toyota / Honda / etc.

some others are power accessory sockets ... usually in the trunk and rated for 25 amps or better ( and heavier wiring )

·
Registered
2,905 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have been using this for my wheelchair and tires for years now and never have blown a fuse works great as my tire pressure on my chair is 75lbs.
Have you checked you center console there should be a stronger outlet there but I have seen others with one in the rear also so I don't know why yours doesn't as they are standard on highlanders
Both the Corolla and the Highlander have an outlet in the dashboard and in the centre armrest console. Neither have one in the back. It's a common complaint with this generation of Highlander.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I had one that did that, turned out to be damage on the DC cord that caused a short when you twisted it the wrong way - check the DC cord and cigarette lighter plug.
You might be onto something. How would I check the power cord?

Also I don't know much about cars but now the outlet in the Corolla in the armrest is not working at all even though I changed the one fuse. Any idea if on a 2010 Toyota Corolla if there's one fuse for both outlets or they each have their own?

·
Registered
116 Posts
You might be onto something. How would I check the power cord?

Also I don't know much about cars but now the outlet in the Corolla in the armrest is not working at all even though I changed the one fuse. Any idea if on a 2010 Toyota Corolla if there's one fuse for both outlets or they each have their own?
Trace the wire from one end to the other and look for cuts or tears - mine was torn coming out of the unit, in the pocket where you're supposed to coil the power cable back for storage, and the copper conductor was exposed and would short when twisted. Blew outlets on both cars before I figured it out.

I would suspect the cigarette lighter and armrest outlet would be on separate circuits:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Trace the wire from one end to the other and look for cuts or tears - mine was torn coming out of the unit, in the pocket where you're supposed to coil the power cable back for storage, and the copper conductor was exposed and would short when twisted. Blew outlets on both cars before I figured it out.

I would suspect the cigarette lighter and armrest outlet would be on separate circuits:

Yep you nailed it.

I separated the wires, wrapped them in electrical tape, then wrapped the two wires in more electrical tape.

As for the fuses, I cannot find a diagram that matches my panel but I have changed 23 (fixed the cigg lighter in the dashboard) and 12 which did not fix the outlet in the armrest. Any ideas? I figure it's got to be a 15a fuse. Is it possible that the short fuse fried something in the outlet?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I find those fuse box diagrams pretty misleading sometimes. It s possible that you can find the blown fuse by looking directly at them or with a flash light, some of them go darker when blown. It is possible that the fuse may be in the other fuse box under the hood.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Yep you nailed it.

I separated the wires, wrapped them in electrical tape, then wrapped the two wires in more electrical tape.

As for the fuses, I cannot find a diagram that matches my panel but I have changed 23 (fixed the cigg lighter in the dashboard) and 12 which did not fix the outlet in the armrest. Any ideas? I figure it's got to be a 15a fuse. Is it possible that the short fuse fried something in the outlet?

View attachment 363497
View attachment 363498
I checked 12 and it was fine.
Maybe the car has to be turned on to accessories for that particular outlet to work.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I bought an "Air Hawk" two years ago and was happy to have it last Winter : For the first time, I had to inflate my tires that used to loose between four and seven pressure pounds a week !!!
I used it with its portable battery first (to be charged on house power) but turned to use car power : both worked fine.

I had never encountered such a situation since I always have two mounted sets of tires, say Summer and Winter and the same Winter set was doing fine the year before. Sure I will have those fixed with new valves (twelve years old) next Fall though.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts