The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 12v tire inflator and usually it works but sometimes it blows the fuses in our cars and I am running the cars while using it.

Our car manual says anything plugged into the 12v outlets should not exceed 10 amps. The problem is can't find a tire inflator that doesn't exceed 10 amps.

What are you using as a portable 12v tire inflator?

I could buy an air compressor for the garage and use that when at home but it doesn't help me if I wake up in Algonquin Park with an almost flat tire like I did last summer where the closest garage with air is 30 minutes away.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
We have one in each car and use them often. Regular tire inflater/compressors from Can Tire. Never had a problem with blowing fuses in either car.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I’ve got a compressor that came with my previous car, also a MINI, that I’ve used. I’ll check to see if there is a rating on it.
It is 15A.

You can get some battery chargers that have a compressor, or a compressor with a battery.
You have to remember to charge it every once in a while.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
That's beyond my skill level.
mmmm... an after market lighter socket with 2 wires to clip onto the battery when needed
RED to center lug of socket (HOT) , BLACK to the shell of socket (GRND)
then plug the compressor in ...
remove from battery when finished and store as usual .

5 over isn't gonna do much harm. the wiring is heavier than you think ... just don't go more than 5

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mmmm... an after market lighter socket with 2 wires to clip onto the battery when needed
RED to center lug of socket (HOT) , BLACK to the shell of socket (GRND)
then plug the compressor in ...
remove from battery when finished and store as usual .

5 over isn't gonna do much harm. the wiring is heavier than you think ... just don't go more than 5
Oh sorry I thought you were suggesting modifying my car.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
mod away ... depends on your skills / ability :)
BTW ... the 12V compressor usually doesn't care if you hook it up backwards , it uses 1 way check valves

@BlueRocker got it right for the aftermarket socket ...(y)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mod away ... depends on your skills / ability :)
BTW ... the 12V compressor usually doesn't care if you hook it up backwards , it uses 1 way check valves

@BlueRocker got it right for the aftermarket socket ...(y)
My automotive skills are I can put air in the tires, change a fuse (with swearing) and put gas in them.

My computer/owners manual reading skills are much better though so if you need someone to change the clock in your car when the clocks change, I'm your man.

I ordered the adaptor. I am done with trying to run a tire inflator off a 12v car outlet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts