The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. So I have a 2000 Lexus ES300. I wanted to get something newer, but its just not practical at this time.
I need new shocks. I found complete Monroe struts, springs, for 200$ each on eBay.
My mechanic seems to charge a fortune for parts. I just paid 150$ for a used power steering pump. He said it was 400$ new, but on eBay its under 100$.
Should I take a chance and get my shocks there? I know they will be almost double from my mechanic.
The eBay store is in Canada and offer free shipping.
I'm just worried I will get them and they won't fit.
Whaddya think???
Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,786 Posts
Ive bought car parts on ebay before.
I don't know why they wouldn't fit if you've double, triple checked the part numbers.

price difference could be due to OEM vs aftermarket. and of course the standard screwing Canadians get....OOps just saw, its all Monroe.
mechanics often take a percentage on parts as well...you may find though, that when you supply your own parts, they wont warranty the work.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,255 Posts
Hi guys and gals. So I have a 2000 Lexus ES300. I wanted to get something newer, but its just not practical at this time.
I need new shocks. I found complete Monroe struts, springs, for 200$ each on eBay.
My mechanic seems to charge a fortune for parts. I just paid 150$ for a used power steering pump. He said it was 400$ new, but on eBay its under 100$.
Should I take a chance and get my shocks there? I know they will be almost double from my mechanic.
The eBay store is in Canada and offer free shipping.
I'm just worried I will get them and they won't fit.
Whaddya think???
Cheers
I have a friend of mine who's family owns a garage and he recommended buying parts on Amazon for any repairs that can wait a while for parts delivery. The prices on there are cheaper than he can get at cost.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rockauto.com
Wow...half price of eBay. Even with 250$ shipping (Ouch) its still 150$ cheaper than eBay.
Thanks!
Hopefully all new suspension will make the car drive nice again. i am feeling every bump in the road which is not normal for a Lexus. Plus, the original shocks are 18 years old.
Cheers

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Some aftermarket parts are junk, and the OEM at 4 times the price is worth it. Like on a heater core that's an all day job to replace and the aftermarket lasts 2 years where the OEM might last 20. Even if you get the warranty on the part, you get beat on the labour.
But name brand stuff for the exact part number, you should be able to compare prices fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got Monroe shocks which are suppose to be decent. I can't imagine how much factory OEM Lexus parts would be. My mechanic says his price is 300$ each for no names.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already placed the order from Rockauto. I just hope DHL isn't like UPS and I get hit with huge brokerage fee's and taxes.
The last two places suggested had similar prices, but they were no name and I got Monroe which after doing a bit of research seem to be a bit higher quality.

·
Premium Member
6,436 Posts
I already placed the order from Rockauto. I just hope DHL isn't like UPS and I get hit with huge brokerage fee's and taxes.
I use DHL all the time when ordering from Antique Electronics in Arizona. The fee is always $20 to $25 and the stuff is in my hands in two days. I would recommend DHL without hesitation.

I also order NOS car parts. Long as you know the part number you're looking for and buy genuine stuff, you can't go wrong. Avoid the crudely made crap from China.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
+1 for amazon. Got my brakes and a sensor on there for my x5 recently.

Shop around and lexus is a toyota brand, not sure if toyota dealer stocks lexus parts though. My old 4runner got many cheap oem parts from the dealer. $4 spark plugs, belts and stuff. Aftermarket O2 sensors were about 50% less though.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do feel confident DHL will be fine as in the shipping quote they add 25$ for duty. I will probably have to pay taxes which is still a pretty good deal for a good brand name.

·
Premium Member
5,486 Posts
Rockauto charges the taxes ahead of time so there are no surprises at the door, I've never paid a penny at the door

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Oh heck yes. When younger raced dirt track as a hobby (yes, I'm about as ******* as it gets but boy/howdy, sideways door to door at 90mph is a ton of fun) Bought TONS of parts off ebay, and sold tons as well, all over the world. (buy parts car, strip, sell stuff you don't need, use money to buy stuff you do, afford to race)
Confirm your parts fit with the seller if you're not certain, check sellers rating and you're good to go.

Even sold a rochester quadrajet to a new zealand racer for 5 bucks and about 120 freight(felt guilty about freight cost, he'd actually bid 50 bucks but it was junk to me and didn't think that was right; fellow racer, what the heck). Said just couldn't be had there and he needed one to compete, that's why..internet. :)

·
Premium Member
6,436 Posts
Even sold a rochester quadrajet to a new zealand racer for 5 bucks and about 120 freight(felt guilty about freight cost, he'd actually bid 50 bucks but it was junk to me and didn't think that was right; fellow racer, what the heck). Said just couldn't be had there and he needed one to compete, that's why..internet. :)
I'm a Ford guy and even I used Q-jets. When you're making wild high speed maneuvers, the fuel in the big holley float bowls would be everywhere except where you needed it. You were either starving or flooding, and in the second or two it took for the engine to clear itself, you went from the front of the pack to the back of the pack. Q-jets just kept on running strong no matter how crazy it got.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
About 6 years ago, I needed a starter for my Jimmy. I don't do all the work on my vehicles but changing a starter is not a big deal. I look around and the prices were all over the place so I decided to look on eBay and it was around $50.00 less than anywhere else. It cam from California via USPS and it was the fastest shipment I've ever had out of the states using their postal service. It was delivered to my door with no extra charges in five days. It was the exact fit. However, the engineers obviously never thought of having to change one. The amount of clearance had to be less than 1/1000 of an inch. It must have taken me half an hour to get it at the right angle so fit back up in the space for it.

I have made many eBay purchases and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry to be off topic and not meaning to hijack the thread, but thread made me think of this. Can you imagine running open wheels with no cage or belt, on a Wooden track?? Good grief. The bias tires loved the dry slick but I doubt anything would grip a wooden track, and some had a Passenger. Reminds me of the 20's when mechanics at airshows would do engine work while airborne for.....well,...........I'm not really sure. Free beer maybe??

·
Premium Member
6,436 Posts
I use DHL all the time when ordering from Antique Electronics in Arizona. The fee is always $20 to $25 and the stuff is in my hands in two days. I would recommend DHL without hesitation.
A word of caution on DHL usage:

I have a DHL order arriving today and the border fees are $66.89 on a $205 order. I'm used to paying about $20. Something changed. Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
A word of caution on DHL usage:

I have a DHL order arriving today and the border fees are $66.89 on a $205 order. I'm used to paying about $20. Something changed. Proceed with caution.
Ouch! USPs is slower but there are seldom any fees.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts