The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am driving a 2000 Lexus ES300. Its in great shape and I will probably keep it another 5-10 years.

Here's my problem: My windsheild wipers don't work very well. I have tried several types of blades and its the same. I even tried a set of shorter ones as I thought it might get better.

The car is 18 years old and I think the springs on the arm are worn out.

I can't find any info on changing out the springs in the arms. I know they make extra springs that go on the outside, but they look weird.

Has anyone fixed a an old wiper? I can't even find where to get new arms, or just the springs. eBay only has used wiper arms.
It drives me nuts, as there is always a smear right in the middle of the windshield.

I have washed the window well, cleaned the blades, etc, but it doesn't help.
Whaddya think???

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Does it matter what speed you travel at? Some vehicles have little 'spoilers' on the blades and if they are not used, they don't wipe properly.
Maybe they have aftermarket ones that would help.
Of course, if they don't wipe good when stopped, then this will not help.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Get the Bosh, this model below. The best wiper, summer & winter. And if you want it to last, at the turn of the season, wipe the blade with rubbing alcool. It will clean it up and the wiper will act as new. Try it with your present wipers.

Maybe your windshield needs a good cleaning too.

Another wonder product is the Rain-X windshield treatment. First time you drive in pouring rain with this on your windshield, you'll start to laugh. The harder it rains, the better you see, and that's without your wipers going.
Rain-X® Original Glass Water Repellent - Rain-X

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It makes all the difference in the brand of wiper. After struggling with similar issues you describe with my F-150, and numerous brands, I eventually found the Bosch Icons.
They are not inexpensive but pay for themselves in peace of mind. Regardless though, I still change wipers at least yearly as they get seriously worked out here.

The other thing that has made a difference in visibility especially in the dusk, is using Rain-X washer fluid. It tends to bead the water on your window and doesn't refract light very much. It works so well I rarely have to have my wipers on full.

Edit - I see Bgood beat me to it.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
After 17 years I can imagine that the springs on the arms are a little tired. Replace the arms or get new springs - you may need to get creative to replace the springs - in the old days garages had big boxes of miscellaneous springs that we could just match up with.

As mentioned earlier, I remember when everyone was putting the little spoilers on their blades for more downward force - but that only works when you're moving.

P

·
0 Posts
People that lift the wipers into the "off the windshield" position and leave them there are apparently wearing out the springs.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I remember when everyone was putting the little spoilers on their blades for more downward force - but that only works when you're moving.
So that's what those were - my old VW had that (one blade only) and I had no idea what for. Didn't work tho; the wipers sucked even after I replaced the blades. It was an old car by that point so, yeah.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Believe it or not, I actually have the Bosch wipers on now. I did some research and they were supposed to be the best, I bought a set on Amazon, but no difference.
I do remember putting those silly wind catcher things on old shitboxes we used to drive. They never did much. I have no idea where I can get new springs.
My mechanic does this treatment and its like Rain-X, but lasts the whole season. Its very impressive. But, when I do need the wipers, there's that stupid smear/streak right in front of my eyes.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll give it a try! I'll also give the windshield a good scrubbing. Maybe there's a tiny stubborn bit of debris thats messing it up.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
It's not so much the springs that give out. It's usually the joint where the wiper arm moves that gets rusted up and starts sticking. That resistance stops the wipers from putting proper pressure on the wiper blades. You can try moving the arms in & out while spraying lube on the joint (if it's tight) that will loosen it up.

Another thing, it is possible to get a windshield that's not flat. That raises hell with the wipers too.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
save your money on rain-x. here is an old biker trick that works just as good, but costs alot less:

cut a potato in half. rub it on your windshield. let it dry. it's the starch.

you probably don't believe this, but it's true. lots of bikers rub a potato on their visor, they have no wipers at all. this works

·
Registered
759 Posts
save your money on rain-x. here is an old biker trick that works just as good, but costs alot less:

cut a potato in half. rub it on your windshield. let it dry. it's the starch.

you probably don't believe this, but it's true. lots of bikers rub a potato on their visor, they have no wipers at all. this works
Interesting, but doesn't the rain wash it away ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts