The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy built a Les Paul from scratch the other day (weeks actually) and he was asking me about caps. He would like to try some paper and oil caps. The value is .022 400V. Does anyone have a source for different caps or maybe a few they would be willing to part with?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
My buddy built a Les Paul from scratch the other day (weeks actually) and he was asking me about caps. He would like to try some paper and oil caps. The value is .022 400V. Does anyone have a source for different caps or maybe a few they would be willing to part with?

Thanks
I'll double check in the morning. I might have something.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,789 Posts
I have a couple...but not .022 uF

BTW...The voltage spec/rating of these caps is meaningless for guitar as the voltages developed by an electric guitar are minuscule.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
you can look for 50 volt caps and you'll be fine, they are a lot smaller so they are easier to work with. Most of the time lower voltage equals smaller physical size which is a bonus when working in tight spaces

Reactions: greco
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple...but not .022 uF

BTW...The voltage spec/rating of these caps is meaningless for guitar as the voltages developed by an electric guitar are minuscule.
Are they paper and oil? Will they work with his LP?

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
This is what I have. It's Russian PIO and I pulled it from my LP ages ago. If he wants it, he can have it. I don't know what any of the writing means.

Hand Electronic engineering Electronic component Finger Electrical connector

·
Premium Member
18,789 Posts
@ancandour 's cap appears to be 0.01 uF (MFD on the cap =microfarads) which is about 1/2 the capacitance of a 0.022 uF/MFD cap.
Close-up Material property Finger Capacitor

I have 2 that are 0.047 uF and are quite large in physical size. They will be twice the capacitance of an 0.022 uF. The larger the cap rating in uF , the more highs (treble frequencies) that are shunted to ground. The 0.047 might take away too much of his treble and be too "dark" /muddy. It is all a matter of personal choice. Apologies if you know all of this stuff.

I will be away until later this afternoon and won't be able to respond.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
personally i think the .01 is a better choice than the stock 022

1 - 9 of 9 Posts