The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my 6 string acoustic for a week. I have a tuner that makes it very easy to tweak the tuning.

Yesterday something strange happened. My B string was out of tune, and as I try to tune it, it goes from a very sharp A to a very flat C. No matter how slowly I tighten the string, I can't get the tuner to register a B.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
Welcome Mike! When ever I have weird tuning problems, first thing I do is replace the battery in my tuner.
Have you tried tuning your B string my ear? (4th fret of the 3rd/G string) I'm thinking it's more a tuner issue than a guitar issue. Unless the nut is REALLY sticky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lincoln. Thanks for the speedy reply! To my ear, the B string sounds okay (that's not saying much though).

You gave me an idea. I checked what the tuner would say if i played the 4th fret of the 3rd/G string. Even though it says my G is perfectly in tune, the 4th fret registers as a very flat C - the same reading it gives for the actual B string.

I think this confirms your theory that it is a tuner issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Does your tuner have different settings for guitar/ukelele/violin/etc? It sounds like it's on the uke setting. Since ukes don't have a B string it's hunting for the closest thing it expects. Usually pushing the power button on the tuner cycles through the different modes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kat, That is EXACTLY what the issue was. Mystery solved! I had toggled on to Ukelele. I just set it back to Guitar, and all 6 strings tuned perfectly.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts