The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
I just forget riffs entirely. I was actually trying to recall a riff from a metal project a few years ago just now, to see if I could warp it into a Sparrows riff.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the biggest things that ever helped me was realizing that whatever someone is playing, if you can find a few notes of it then the rest or at least that section of the solo is probably in the same geographic region on the fretboard and you just have to find the notes. My thought process is, "What is the most efficient way to play this". As in you could probably play an entire solo on one string but it's a lot more efficient to move your fingers to other strings rather than moving your hand.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
Anyone had this happen? You record something and years later you can't remember or figure out how to play it?
Join the club--and that's in a much shorter timespan...
Well for solos...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I don't think I ever play the same thing exactly the same twice. It just continues to evolve and runs with the moment. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much otherwise.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I ever play the same thing exactly the same twice. It just continues to evolve and runs with the moment. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much otherwise.
I think you're in the minority there. Imagine if Jimmy Page never played the same solo twice, Slash, etc, etc.

I look at solos like another melody in the song. I wouldn't sing the song with a different melody every time I played it.

To each his own of course.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
But the key parts stayed the same.

I have nothing against improvising. I love improvising. I love the Dead but how many famous guitars players could you name who never play the same solo twice?

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Great song. Reminiscent of Ron Sexsmith.

Great guitar players who improvise solos: Jimi Hendrix ("thats why I make so many mistakes"), Frank Zappa, Phil Keaggy, Mark Knopfler, BB King, Robbie Robertson, Jeff Healey, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Al diMeola, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc, etc, etc, ...and kapn krunch ("thats why I make so many mistakes")

But oh yeah, I know what you mean. "How'd I do that?!!" Many times. Really bugs me too!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every guitarist improvises solos at some point. If they didn't they never would have written a solo.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

:)

When it comes playing to solos live on songs they had already recorded though most guitarists do not make up a brand new solo on the spot every single time they play that song.

Especially Satriani and Vai.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great song. Reminiscent of Ron Sexsmith.

Great guitar players who improvise solos: Jimi Hendrix ("thats why I make so many mistakes"), Frank Zappa, Phil Keaggy, Mark Knopfler, BB King, Robbie Robertson, Jeff Healey, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Al diMeola, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc, etc, etc, ...and kapn krunch ("thats why I make so many mistakes")

But oh yeah, I know what you mean. "How'd I do that?!!" Many times. Really bugs me too!
Yeah I love this song. It's a Hawksley Workman song who I went to high school with. I played this during my wedding ceremony.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I improvise most solos but I have to relearn all the lead lines every few months, no matter if they're my own of not. I think that's normal, If I spent 5 years without talking and thinking I would have to relearn how to live again.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Guncho: "It's a Hawksley Workman song who I went to high school with."

From Huntsville eh? We would know alot of the same people from Ryan's class, no doubt.
Quite a few very good musicians came out of the "Black Hole".
Doug Raisbeck was a neighbour and good friend of mine.
Small world....

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I think you're in the minority there. Imagine if Jimmy Page never played the same solo twice, Slash, etc, etc.

I look at solos like another melody in the song. I wouldn't sing the song with a different melody every time I played it.

To each his own of course.
I quite likely him unlike many people. I'm probably one of the most undeveloped players considering the time spent, however I really don't have a whole lot of interest in playing anybody else's material aside from the quintessential riffs of this or that. For the most part I'm happy just doing my own thing but then again I'm not actually creating songs to perform or record and not really working to perfect anything, so probably quite different than what you're doing.
This is probably the reason I don't remember a lot of what I do from week to week, because it's not structured.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Every guitarist improvises solos at some point. If they didn't they never would have written a solo.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

:)

Especially Satriani and Vai.
You make a very good point. You also picked two of the guys I can't stand the most LOL. So perfect they're like mechanically sterile. Robotic. ( I'm not here to argue, I do realize they're extremely talented players and liked by many... to each their own )

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guncho: "It's a Hawksley Workman song who I went to high school with."

From Huntsville eh? We would know alot of the same people from Ryan's class, no doubt.
Quite a few very good musicians came out of the "Black Hole".
Doug Raisbeck was a neighbour and good friend of mine.
Small world....
I was in the first Black Hole classes with Mr Raisbeck. What's your name? I'm Chris Gunter.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I quite likely him unlike many people. I'm probably one of the most undeveloped players considering the time spent, however I really don't have a whole lot of interest in playing anybody else's material aside from the quintessential riffs of this or that. For the most part I'm happy just doing my own thing but then again I'm not actually creating songs to perform or record and not really working to perfect anything, so probably quite different than what you're doing.
This is probably the reason I don't remember a lot of what I do from week to week, because it's not structured.
It's all good. Playing guitar should be fun. If that's what you like to do I fully support it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts