The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need 4 3 inch patch cables for my pedal board with small or pancake connectors. You'd think this is something that would be easy to get. Lava cables could make them but at $20 a cable for a 3 inch cable seems excessive to me. The 6 inch cables I have on the pedal board just look ridiculous. I have a couple front mounted pedals where the input\output are very close. 3 inch would be the perfect length even for the side mounted input\outputs.
So does anyone know where I could get a moderately priced 3 inch patch cable with small connectors? Don't want the cheapest cable.

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
I can send you six Lava ends and a foot of cable if you want.
It's the older style solderless mini plugs.

Let me know if you're interested and what type of ends, I have the nineties and straight ends.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
For future ref there's these yes, they're molded, but they are good ( I roll my own everything, including cables, but at this price it is a waste of my time to make them myself; been using them for years, not one has failed yet), r angle and reasonably low profile ( pancake hater here, nothing else is smaller).

Guitar Pedal Patch Cable Set - 6 pieces

To make it worth the shipping get a power adapter, daisy chain cable, pedal parts ( pots, switches, enclosures, 1/4" jacks - I only use their Neutrals or the Lumbergs, or plugs, which I buy elsewhere personally), knobs ( great selection) etc or get together with some other local guitarists for a group order.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I got a new pedal board the other day so I'm in the process as well. Luckily I have a bunch already, but I may need something a bit more flexible than a couple of Fenders I have.

GLS was mentioned in a Blog with a link to Amazon. Not sure what the deal with the price difference is though. for 15' of cable and 12 very low profile L connectors, they were asking $42 U.S. The same thing on Amazon.ca was $82. WTF?

Anyway, here's a like to the alternative for a decent price...: 3 x prewired 6" cables. They get really good reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/GLS-Audio-Patch-Cable-Cords/dp/B007X60AZ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515469325&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=GLS+Audio+Pedal+Board+Kit+DIY+Patch+Cables+Cords+-+15ft+Cable+with+12+Right+Angled+1/4"+TS+Plugs+-+15+Feet+Wire+with+Low+Profile+Pancake+Style+Plug+-+15'+Pedalboard+Cord

EDIT: Oh shoot. Didn't read the Title right. You were looking for 3"

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Just a comment, based on experience, that if you're only going 3" center to center on right angle cables you're going to need VERY flexible cable. You're also going to need to make sure all of the ins and outs line up if they're side jacks. If they're all top jacks then it's not so much of a problem.

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
3" is really short, unless you are using thin cable like George L. Heavier cable needs a bigger "turning radius".

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
3" is really short, unless you are using thin cable like George L. Heavier cable needs a bigger "turning radius".
I was reading up on this last evening.

Some sites suggest the formula of a minimal bending radius to be 4-5 times the outer dimension of the cable. Using 1/4 " as an easy example, this would be about 1" minimum bending radius. I have the feeling that this is not critical when applied to pedal boards.

Thoughts, experiences, comments?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@guitarman2 I can build some for you.

The pancake plugs will be Chinese copies and the cable is standard instrument cable from QComponents.

I have built them for other GC Forum members.
Thanks for the offer Greco. I have forum member generously sending me some Lava cable and solderless ends. If for some reason those cables don't work out (maybe I'll suck at putting them together reliably) I'll give you a call.

P

·
0 Posts
I will never use solderless cables ever again. I have hundreds of $$$ worth of George L's in a bag in a drawer. My buddy tried to give me some of his he will never use again and I said "no thanks".

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was reading up on this last evening.

Some sites suggest the formula of a minimal bending radius to be 4-5 times the outer dimension of the cable. Using 1/4 " as an easy example, this would be about 1" minimum bending radius. I have the feeling that this is not critical when applied to pedal boards.

Thoughts, experiences, comments?
I thought of this as well. Some of the more expensive patch cables are designed thinner for better bending radius I think. 2 of my pedals are front mounted and I calculate that I'll need a cable of about 2 1/2 inches to go from one input to the other output. But those cables won't be bent. I'm still looking for another OD pedal to finish my board and hoping for front mounted jacks as well. However 2 of the pedals on the board are side jacks. I need to place them fairly close so thats why I need small connectors. I'll go to a 4 inch length if I have to but would prefer 3 inch for a neater look.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will never use solderless cables ever again. I have hundreds of $$$ worth of George L's in a bag in a drawer. My buddy tried to give me some of his he will never use again and I said "no thanks".
I have used planet waves solderless in the past and they were very reliable. I have made some connections initially that didn't work so had to trim back and start over. But once they were on the board they were solid. I'd have gone back to that but the connectors are too big for my needs.
I've heard lots of bad things about George L reliability. As well I've heard the Lava solderless can be very tricky to put together. There are some videos on youtube that clarify an exact method for them to be built and failure to follow those tips can result in unreliability.
The most unreliable patch cable or longer instrument cables for that matter were the most expensive cables I ever purchased. The Evidence Audio cable. I spent about a thousand dollars on instrument cables of various lengths of Evidence Audio for guitar and pedalboard to amp and patch cables for my pedal board. Almost every single one failed with in 2 years. Some failing as soon as a few weeks. As they were guaranteed for life (I think) I sent a couple back for replacements but even that got to be a pain as they were all failing. I bought them direct from EA. In the end I was left with 2 cables that didn't fail and I sold them.

P

·
0 Posts
I have used planet waves solderless in the past and they were very reliable. I have made some connections initially that didn't work so had to trim back and start over. But once they were on the board they were solid. I'd have gone back to that but the connectors are too big for my needs.
I've heard lots of bad things about George L reliability. As well I've heard the Lava solderless can be very tricky to put together. There are some videos on youtube that clarify an exact method for them to be built and failure to follow those tips can result in unreliability.
I just watch a video where a guy who makes his living puting together pedalboards for guitar players said only use soldered cables. He talked about increased resistance and poor reliability.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just watch a video where a guy who makes his living puting together pedalboards for guitar players said only use soldered cables. He talked about increased resistance and poor reliability.
There is always someone somewhere telling us to use "this" and don't use "that". Those who have had bad experiences won't use it and those who have had good experiences will.
My first approach with solderless was thinking it was easy fast and convenient. I found you really have to be careful putting them together but when done right they can be good.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts