The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any canoe experts here? Looking for opinions on canoe stabilizers. Looking on line there are quite a few that you can build. Any recommendations on store bought ones?
Much appreciate any info.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been on between 30-50 canoe trips and have never heard of canoe stabilizers. What are they and are they a pain to portage?
They are floatation devices that go on both sides of the canoe in order to help keep it from flipping. Dont know about the portage end of it as i have never had any on my canoe.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Interesting. I've been a paddler most of my life and never heard of them so I Googled it. I would imagine you'd want ones that are easily detachable as they look like they'd be a pain to paddle with them on.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's pretty rare for an experienced canoeist to flip a loaded canoe.

Sounds gimmicky and unnecessary to me but to each his own.
Interesting. I've been a paddler most of my life and never heard of them so I Googled it. I would imagine you'd want ones that are easily detachable as they look like they'd be a pain to paddle with them on.

I have a Sportspal canoe that i use to go fishing. I dont use paddles as it has 2 oars and it makes it easier for me move around. I had an unpleasant adventure last year when i tipped over so that is the reason i am looking for stabilizers.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Likewise, I grew up in a canoe and they are great for travel in wilderness, but I have never enjoyed fishing from one. SportsPal tried to overcome the problem with a wider design and stubby kind of manoeverability.

I thought SportsPal had floats on the sides straight from the factory. I have never seen one without them...

How about an outrigger like they use in the Pacific? You could rig up a half-assed sail for extra fun. If you can fasten the oars so they point outward they will do the same thing as outriggers. Better than floats I'll bet.

Other than that just glue on some pool noodles. There's nothing technical about it as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Likewise, I grew up in a canoe and they are great for travel in wilderness, but I have never enjoyed fishing from one. SportsPal tried to overcome the problem with a wider design and stubby kind of manoeverability.

I thought SportsPal had floats on the sides straight from the factory. I have never seen one without them...

How about an outrigger like they use in the Pacific? You could rig up a half-assed sail for extra fun. If you can fasten the oars so they point outward they will do the same thing as outriggers. Better than floats I'll bet.

Other than that just glue on some pool noodles. There's nothing technical about it as far as I know.
Yes they do have foam on the sides but it can be flipped over quite easily trust me. I tried the pool noodles but they really create a lot of drag and they dont work that well. Good idea about the oars though.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
There is no substitute for being careful. I have had some bad experiences canoeing. Always my own fault. Still fun tho'!

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no substitute for being careful. I have had some bad experiences canoeing. Always my own fault. Still fun tho'!
LOl, i agree all my fault but i dont swim and had a panic attack waiting on my bro to reach me in his cayak. Good thing i always have my life jacket on. I know better now and am very careful when moving abouts.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also not a fan of stabilizers. Your best bet is a better, more stable canoe. That, or swimming lessons. ;-)
Also not a fan of stabilizers. Your best bet is a better, more stable canoe. That, or swimming lessons. ;-)
Can you suggest a more stable canoe. I know nothing about them. I thought the Sportspal was one of the best as it does a have a wide center.

·
Premium Member
10,868 Posts
Hmmm...A square stern Coleman was most stable canoe I've owned but it was a real dog to paddle, though it clipped along great with 4 horses on the transom, and was okay in smaller water with an electric Minn-Kota trolling motor. It rowed well too, and generally I rowed it while sitting on a Rubbermaid stool positioned correctly (the standard seat position was poorly done). One has to install the oarlocks. Luckily, I didn't buy it to paddle, but to row. Warning, the Coleman hull likes to oilcan and is quite noisy.

I think if I was trying to make a canoe more stable I'd install a pivoting side mounted drop keel of some sort, though it would need to be placed out of the way. Outriggers are fine but a pain in the ass when trying to maneuver small spaces.

Frankly, I've learned to prefer a sit on top kayak, just as stable as a canoe. This would be nice:

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Square stern with trolling motor sounds great. I use a trolling motor on the side of my Bluewater kevlar 48 now. Eff paddling. My youthful adventures are over. Lol. Even better is my son-in-law's 14' with 9.9.

How about a short tube to join the oars while fishing? Rubber, plastic. Easy on, easy off.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm...A square stern Coleman was most stable canoe I've owned but it was a real dog to paddle, though it clipped along great with 4 horses on the transom, and was okay in smaller water with an electric Minn-Kota trolling motor. It rowed well too, and generally I rowed it while sitting on a Rubbermaid stool positioned correctly (the standard seat position was poorly done). One has to install the oarlocks. Luckily, I didn't buy it to paddle, but to row. Warning, the Coleman hull likes to oilcan and is quite noisy.

I think if I was trying to make a canoe more stable I'd install a pivoting side mounted drop keel of some sort, though it would need to be placed out of the way. Outriggers are fine but a pain in the ass when trying to maneuver small spaces.

Frankly, I've learned to prefer a sit on top kayak, just as stable as a canoe. This would be nice:

Thanks buddy. My bro has a sit top kayak and your right its great. I have tried it and its okey but still looking for more stability. Appreciate the input

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Square stern with trolling motor sounds great. I use a trolling motor on the side of my Bluewater kevlar 48 now. Eff paddling. My youthful adventures are over. Lol. Even better is my son-in-law's 14' with 9.9.

How about a short tube to join the oars while fishing? Rubber, plastic. Easy on, easy off.
Not a bad idea for the oars. Will give that a try. Thanks

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
man...you don't swim but own a canoe?

is it too late to learn how to swim?? might be a good idea...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I used to canoe fish exclusively. Never dumped and sometimes stand up in it, but that could be for a few reasons;

1) I have a heavy deep cycle battery and low slung trolling motor for ballast on a square stern

2) I bought a glass Scott "Bushman" Canoe - heavy, wide, triple keel. Stable but a b***h to paddle. Has sponsons, but my impression is they aren't "anti-tip" but rather in case swamped. (Also has fore/aft air chambers

3) I always sit to fight and land the fish

Maybe the current canoe isn't right for you?

Outrigged floatation tube sponsons would work but be a major PITA in my opinion. I would think they would also need to be raised up like sloppy training wheels so side waves/wakes didn't bounce you around as much

1 - 20 of 39 Posts