The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this Sunday I set off to Algonquin park to canoe and portage, and such. I am faced with a problem however. I do not wish for any harm to come to my Acoustic Guitar (Yamaha FG 700S) from the great outdoors, but would love to have it out there with me. I am leaning towards taking it, but this mainly revolves on how well it gets packed up.

So, in accordance with the above, I ask all the pros and newbs to give me some advice regarding packing a guitar in a Hard case, while keeping it completely waterproof and free of condensation.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If it was me, I'd go out and buy a dirt cheap acoustic to take. Pack well in a hardshell case. Go to a moving company and pick up one of those heavy plastic bags they wrap mattresses in, they're about $5 I think. Tape well.

No way I would risk a good guitar this way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was me, I'd go out and buy a dirt cheap acoustic to take. Pack well in a hardshell case. Go to a moving company and pick up one of those heavy plastic bags they wrap mattresses in, they're about $5 I think. Tape well.

No way I would risk a good guitar this way.
Thank your for the advice, I will consider it. I do not want to buy another guitar. I was leaning towards heavy-duty garbage bags and duct tape as my way of wrapping it, wrapping it in both the case and outside of the case. I idea to pack the guitar was using old tab as padding.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
There's an old saying that you're not a true Canadian unless you can safely make love in a canoe.

Didn't know you had to play her a song first!:smile:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
oh, and remember to watch out for some weird looking kid with a banjo.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My son goes camping all the time with his in a plastic bag and one of those padded gigbag that carries like a pack sack. Its not an expensive guitar tho. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'd rather shell out for an inexpensive (but playable) guitar than risk my prized one. No way in hell would I do that to an acoustic I loved.

Having said that, I used to tree plant back in the day and one of our greatest joys was our time off, sitting around the campfire at night, playing tunes with two or three other guitar players. Just fantastic fun in the middle of the bush. I bought a cheap Fender acoustic in Thunder Bay for that very purpose and it served me well for a couple of seasons before I traded it in once I was back in southern Ontario and done with my seasons in the bush.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you have some cash, there are a few companies making carbon fibre acoustic guitars and mandolins. these are reputed to be pretty tuff, and totally immune to the blunders of humidity and temperature. also, there are a few case manufaturers($$$) that make cases which are waterproof, along with being plane proof. i know these are pretty expensive options..otherwise i recommend a tight closing case, bags, and lots of ducttape.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I take a guitar on my sailboat( small 17' but enclosed) but not a good guitar. I have the attitude that anything going on a boat can go down with the ship.

buy a cheapie. Weather up here is... rain on Friday nice the weekend. Dew is heavy this time of year.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Martin has a really gret travel guitar that I want. I don't like to travel with my "good" guitar and they take up alot of space going to the cottage. I've tried one out and it sounds good too! here's a link to one online. Hmmm now maybe the time to consider buying.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MAT-11GBPC.html

·
Registered
377 Posts
At toys R Us they have small ukulele-sized guitars for 40 bucks each. Though they are not good as a typical guitar, they're nice to have as a carry-around toy, and they are very playable.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
bring an ovation, that way if it does get wet, you've still got a bailer :D

i'm ringing in on the "buy a cheap one" side of things. you can pick up a beater for under a hundred bucks, that's the way to go, in case the raccoons decide to take up pickin'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts