The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Eminence Reignmaker 12" 75w 8ohm. It has adjustable attenuation on the speaker magnet. I got it in a trade and it's really not being used for what it can do. I also have a 16ohm V30 in another cab. I'm considering selling the Reignmaker and getting a 16ohm Cannabis Rex so I can run the 2 cabs in parallel. Not being in a band or jam or anything, does this sound more feasible to you guys? Both cabs are closed back, so adjusting the speaker is not possible unless I take it out. This is another reason I'm considering selling the Reignmaker. My heads are a 20w Micro Terror and 5w H&K, so the 75w is overkill for these amps and both are 8ohm min.

I'd even consider trading the 8ohm for a decent 16ohm. I'm not a serious player, so the actual sound differences may not be as noticeable to me. Although, I did once have a Fender amp with a 12" speaker and LOVED that sound. Princeton DSP I believe it was.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
The CRex is a good speaker with fender amps, it cuts the high end and adds a bit of low mid fatness. If you want smooth and fat, its very good. I don't find that the wattage rating means much with the Emi speakers, they sound pretty good overall with low wattage amps.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got offered a trade for a C-rex tonight. I've already dealt with the guy, so that makes it easier. It wasn't here on GC, but still, this works out perfect. It's a 16ohm C-rex so I can use the cabs in parallel that way. AWESOME !!! My question almost answered itself. I've also read some good things about the C-rex......so really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I love the CR and have used it in an amp for close to 8 years. Tames the highs and adds some fatness but can darken the amp a fair bit, some people don't like that . I would say it isn't for all amps/guitar combinations but a Fender style amp with a Tele it does wonders for.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I would say go ahead and trade for the C Rex.... THEN ..
Buy a Fender Blue Junior, put the C Rex in the Junior and sell all you other amps and speakers.
You will end up with a better sound and maybe even a few bucks in your pocket.
Just the musings of an old guy who thinks he knows better...Given that, its what I would do.
G.

Reactions: Budda and Verne

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had the budget for both speakers, I'd keep the Reignmaker and wait for an open back cab. I did "research" some speakers before choosing to look specifically for a C-rex. It appears I've made a good decision. If it darkens the sound a bit, it may not work the best with the MT then. I find that amp sort of flattens the sound and makes it a little more canned in it's sound. The H&K is a much brighter amp. I love playing the Strat through the H&K. I do have a Tele I built with the Solo Music Gear kit. I'm looking forward to the switch. I found the Reignmaker sounded very similar to the V30 in my H&K cab. I am hoping the C-rex gives me just enough difference in each cabs sound individually, but compliments the V30 when linked together. This is my first foray into multiple cabs.

·
Premium Member
16,829 Posts
If you want an affordable unloaded cab, I have a friend in town who builds them.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
The Cannabis Rex is awesome for solid state amps. I have one in a Traynor DG30 (as well as the tube amp YCV40 with extension cab). The DG30 makes for a really good jazz styled amp with the CR, warms up the lows and mids while taking the edge off the highs.

I was originally quite enamoured of the Reignmaker, and would still recommend it, but I just don't have enough amps at the moment.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also liked the Reignmaker, but it is just more usable for somebody who plays outside of their basement. At least that's what I think. I also expanded my gear since I got this.....which you may know a little about. ;)

I did think it through and did the old hum and hah, a LOT !!! I like the fullness of both cabs at once, but always felt a little "off" about playing too long with the mismatch. Since both heads are 8ohm, I decided to search out another 16ohm. Sadly, the RM is 8ohm. Otherwise, I'd be keeping it, since buying another speaker is not in the equation at this point. It was played, enjoyed and appreciated during it's time with me, but it will be utilized for what it is where it's going.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want an affordable unloaded cab, I have a friend in town who builds them.
At this point, another cab is not going to happen. Until I either play more and get better, I can't justify buying a speaker and another cab to mount it in. I do like having different options when playing, so 2 is still enough, for now, but as goes with my cycling, N+1.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
With only closed-back cabinets, probably wise to trade it. The CR is a great speaker. And the Reignmaker is most effective when you can adjust it.

Now if you ever thought you might end up with a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb (RI's included), that Reignmaker is the perfect speaker for those NMV amps. You can get them into a bit of growl without pissing everyone around you off.

Reactions: Verne

·
Premium Member
16,829 Posts
At this point, another cab is not going to happen. Until I either play more and get better, I can't justify buying a speaker and another cab to mount it in. I do like having different options when playing, so 2 is still enough, for now, but as goes with my cycling, N+1.
How well you play shouldnt affect what you buy. Your wallet should.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Didn’t NextGen offer an inexpensive access hole and cover to install on a cab. That kind of thing would be handy with something like the Reignmaker. I like that speaker in several amps. It can also be used to dial in sweet spots of tone.

·
Administrator
15,984 Posts
Hi Verne. I have an essentially brand new Eminence Tonker 16 hanging around here not being used. I don't need the Reignmaker but I'd be happy to trade you for it. I'm in London so it would be nice and easy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts