The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in over 48 years, i had to cancel a gig because of health issues. I suffer from vertigo and yesterdays episode was a bad one. Stayed in bed all day and took Gravol.
I had to call our bandleader to tell him that i could not do our gig. I felt so bad and wanted to go but couldnt stand up let alone drive and play. I was fortunate enough that they found a replacement. Its a busy weekend as we have 3 gigs lined up and feeling good enough to make tonights and tomorows gig. Anyone else had to cancel at the last minute?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Health first...we havent had to cancel last minute but close once when a drummer decide he didnt want to play...
Ive played thru some wicked migraines...ghost white, not really moving on stage, puking between sets...fun...

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Health first...we havent had to cancel last minute but close once when a drummer decide he didnt want to play...
Ive played thru some wicked migraines...ghost white, not really moving on stage, puking between sets...fun...
Wow, i thought i was tough.LOL. I remember back in the 90's playing at a bar and at 11;30 pm got really sick and started vomiting all over on stage and worst, crapping myself!!!! Nothing like filling your best pair of cowboy boots with you know what.LOL. It turns out i had contracted a virus at the hospital i worked at. Shitty night to say the least. Its funny now but not so funny back then. Thanks for sharing.

P

·
0 Posts
Wow, i thought i was tough.LOL. I remember back in the 90's playing at a bar and at 11;30 pm got really sick and started vomiting all over on stage and worst, crapping myself!!!! Nothing like filling your best pair of cowboy boots with you know what.LOL. It turns out i had contracted a virus at the hospital i worked at. Shitty night to say the least. Its funny now but not so funny back then. Thanks for sharing.
Shit the stage.

·
Premium Member
16,638 Posts
That's a bummer :(.

We have had to cancel before, it is no fun.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Yes i am and thanks to everyone who chimed in. Sometimes its good to vent.
Yep...and at least here...we've all had to...(vent/cancel, its interchangable really)

It sucks missing a gig...it sucks feeling like $hit (or literally feeling it...sorry brother)...the things we do for love!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I only bailed on a gig once. About 20 years ago was at a gig and had the worst flu I could ever remember. Had a bucket on stage and throwing up behind PA speakers. Luckily a guitar friend of the band leader was there and was able to cover and the bandleaders girl friend drove me home.
I know what that vertigo is like. Nasty stuff. I retired from gigging a couple years ago and a year ago gave up any kind of electric guitar playing due to severe tinnitus. I suffer from vertigo that is a result of the ear damage.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've played gigs in rough shape, especially back when I had back problems. Never had to cancel one yet though...thankfully.

Good luck with vertigo, I've never had it but seen my Ma go through a few bouts. Nasty stuff....

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
I've not cancelled a gig due to health issues. I've played a number of times when I am sick. I had one where I was throwing up through out the whole thing.

Sorry to hear Marc. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
24,147 Posts
Were you in a GG Allin tribute band at the time?:D

I think the only time I ever needed Gravol before or for a gig was one where my guitar was split between a slow Leslie to my left and aValco amp set to slow throbbing tremolo on my right. The two were not synced. First and only time I ever stepped up to the mic and couldn't remember a single word. Can you have too much modulation? Yes.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I've not cancelled a gig due to health issues. I've played a number of times when I am sick. I had one where I was throwing up through out the whole thing.

Sorry to hear Marc. Hope you feel better soon.
I can sympathize as I also had a gig where I did that. But now that I'm older I gotta think that it would have been better for the audience if we'd have put our bravado aside and stayed home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts