1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
thats just plain disgusting. It sucks when companies have a monopoly over their prices in various countries. It should be BANNED

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Corollas are made in Cambridge Ont.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well, had a chat about it with my dad. He's knows the owners of a few dealerships. According to them, American cars don't have the costly safety and anti-pollution freatures that Canadian cars have. On top of that, servicing a car is more expensive in Canada, so bringing your car to be serviced on the warantee is eating more into the company's profits than in the US. All these things together make up the lion's share of the price difference.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well, had a chat about it with my dad. He's knows the owners of a few dealerships. According to them, American cars don't have the costly safety and anti-pollution freatures that Canadian cars have.
California has far tighter controls than we'll ever have and they're still cheaper there. An ex coworker imports Alfa-Romeo's from there for resale up here and makes an easy $10K per-car profit on the difference.

On top of that, servicing a car is more expensive in Canada, so bringing your car to be serviced on the warantee is eating more into the company's profits than in the US.
Again, because of gouging. Two Hyndai dealers, a Toyota and a GM dealer have told me this.

All these things together make up the lion's share of the price difference.
According to the CBC report tonight on the radio, it breaks down to Canadian's pay it, so they'll charge it.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
More fuel on the fire - Dodge Chargers are made in Brampton and cost several thousand more up here. Their inventory is around, 40 days? I haven't seen my brother in over a month, he works there, I'll have to ask him.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
It also funny that in the US fuel economy(mpg) is 26/35 while in Canada the rating is 36/50. :eek: Give me a break.
Not meaning to ignore your main point, but it should be pointed out that the Canadian gallon was bigger than the American gallon!

That accounts for the mileage difference. If expressed in L/100km then you'd be talking apples and apples...

Only us old guys would know this!:smile:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
515 Posts
http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/investing/insight/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5618170

I have also heard that Bombardier has told it's US dealers to not sell to Canadians. WTF? Aren't they Canadian?
Indeed. Bombardier sent letters to their dealerships in the northern US states not to sell to Canadians. They threatened not to honor their warranties for products purchased in the US. Here is a Canadian corporation that was founded on Canadian tax payer dollars, but Bombardier doesn't seem to remember that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you want to see the US economy to go to the dumper, wait until oil is sold in Euros, and not USD.
It's tanking now due to the cost of wars, loss of their mfg base, credit/housing bubble bursting, etc, that is part of the reason the $CDN is doing well. And those pesky Iranians are selling in euros now, the big flap about them building nuclear weapons is a cover for the oil thing, Saddam was beginning to sell in euros too.

See article on Global Research: http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CLA410A.html

·
Premium Member
16,497 Posts
According to the Toyota Canada site, they make the Corolla, Matrix and Lexus RX 350 in Canada. I guess that includes Cambridge and Woodstock.

Then again, you've been in just about every Japanese owned auto plant in North America....so I dunno who to believe.

I'll have to check, but they may make some Corollas in cambridge. certainly the lion's share of them are made in Kentucky.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Toyota site.

"Every Corolla sold in Canada is made in Canada. But that's just part of the reason why more than one million Canadians have chosen Corolla."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand corrected (not one of my customers but I should know this anyway).

·
Premium Member
16,497 Posts
Yeah, that's true. A large $$$ value of the components in the "Assembled in Canada" cars from the Japanese makers is not domestic. But as long as the final product rolls out of a building with a Canadian address, the politicians are happy.

Didn't Lada ship cars to Canada missing a wheel nut and spark plug wires, just so they'd be able to register the cars as "final assembly in Canada", in order to shortcut some Revenue Canada issues?

Cars built in the canadian Toyota and Honda plants are completely built in Canada. Yes many components are brought in from Southeast Asia and Mexico, but the car plants employ large amounts of associates (workers) and pay them well.

It's a global economy. That has pros and cons.

C

·
0 Posts
"Didn't Lada ship cars to Canada missing a wheel nut and spark plug wires, just so they'd be able to register the cars as "final assembly in Canada", in order to shortcut some Revenue Canada issues?"

They may have.... I think it's very funny if they did! ,-)

·
Registered
97 Posts
i personally don't really care much about American cars, i prefer Japaneses cars, the Japaneses design in general looks a lot more modern than American designs which look very plain and classic.

i heard that corollas are the easiest to drive for beginner
drivers, i am considering this car though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts