The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to purchase some oversized saddle blanks from one of my favourite eBay.ca sellers—bezdez. They had great prices and the product quality was always really good. Seems they haven't been stocking them for a while.

Who are some good sources for bone blanks here in Canada? Not interested in paying $15 each for the pre-packaged & branded stuff, but rather small bulk lots—unless singles are cheap enough. Need to be oversized.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen that. Been researching how to do this. I've even been stockpiling marrow bones in the freezer. But what I don't have at the moment is a good bandsaw with a fence, a warm space to work with the stuff, and I'm not fond of playing with white gas, storing it, or worrying about what to do with the used/dirty byproduct. Next spring I plan to play around with it some though.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Or corian. Guys are using countertop samples from the home store to make nuts - for free
I'm going to look into this and give the counter top place a try tomorrow. I really need to get a good bandsaw. It would pay for itself pretty quickly.

Re TUSQ, I've certainly worked nut slots and intonated saddles made with it (isn't that what's on the lower-end Martins?), but it seems to get chewed up when used for saddle duty. I could be wrong though, never bought it/shaped it myself. I usually order the Corian nut when I order Warmoth necks, and that seems good and hard and works nicely (smooth, doesn't cut too quickly).

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I'm going to look into this and give the counter top place a try tomorrow. I really need to get a good bandsaw. It would pay for itself pretty quickly.

Re TUSQ, I've certainly worked saddle slots and intonated saddles made with it (isn't that what's on the lower-end Martins?), but it seems to get chewed up when used for saddle duty. I could be wrong though, never bought it/shaped it myself. I usually order the Corian nut when I order Warmoth necks, and that seems good and hard and works nicely (smooth, doesn't cut too quickly).
I’ve never cut my own nut from Corian, although have used pre-shaped corian and TUSQ nuts. They work very similarly, when filing the slots anyway.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about the sizes, but Lee Valley carries bone nut & saddle blanks now.
A little spendy, but they'll do nicely for what I'm working on. I knew they were selling some luthier tools/materials but completely forgot to check there. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
japarts.ca sells them (at least it's in their catalogue), not sure of price. I bought some Gotoh tuners from them and excellent to deal with and price after shipping was less than any other source I could find.

(If you do inquire, can you post their price, I'm curious myself and may need to order some in the near future)

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts

Re TUSQ, I've certainly worked nut slots and intonated saddles made with it (isn't that what's on the lower-end Martins?), but it seems to get chewed up when used for saddle duty. I could be wrong though, never bought it/shaped it myself. I usually order the Corian nut when I order Warmoth necks, and that seems good and hard and works nicely (smooth, doesn't cut too quickly).
What's your location?

I've got corian scraps left over from a countertop job.
It cuts okay with carbide blades, I cut it with a chop Saw.

I'm in Cavan on L0a1c0

Nathan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts