The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading about this school. They have a one day course ($350) a course for a couple months where you build an acoustic from scratch ($4,000) and a one year course that teaches you all the intricacies of Lutherie ($35,000)
Is this what it costs to become educated in the art of Lutherie? 35k for one year? You can get a university degree in a 4 year program for that or less.
With that being the cost of learning will we see a decline in guitar techs?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,851 Posts
I was just reading about this school. They have a one day course ($350) a course for a couple months where you build an acoustic from scratch ($4,000) and a one year course that teaches you all the intricacies of Lutherie ($35,000)
Is this what it costs to become educated in the art of Lutherie? 35k for one year? You can get a university degree in a 4 year program for that or less.
There are multiple lutherie schools of varying prices. There are also many luthiers who take on apprentices and/or teach courses on guitar building. Even some technical schools have luthiers come in to teach programs on guitar building. Lots of options, just not well advertised.

Stew Mac lists half a dozen Canadian businesses/luthiers that offer courses:
Lutherie Schools List | stewmac.com

There are probably numerous others that aren't listed. Hmmm.... Maybe that is another thing we should consider adding to our currently growing tech directory.

With that being the cost of learning will we see a decline in guitar techs?
I doubt it. Most techs are self-taught. I venture to say that even most "luthiers" (at least, people who call themselves luthiers) are self-taught. It isn't a regulated industry.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Canadian School of Lutherie appears to be shut down based on their website, so maybe not enough people were willing to cough up that kind of scratch.

From Brantford you could check out Tony Karol who runs courses in Mississauga - drop him a line if you have any questions, he's a great & accommodating guy, as well as top-notch in the guitar building wizardry arts.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canadian School of Lutherie appears to be shut down based on their website, so maybe not enough people were willing to cough up that kind of scratch.

From Brantford you could check out Tony Karol who runs courses in Mississauga - drop him a line if you have any questions, he's a great & accommodating guy, as well as top-notch in the guitar building wizardry arts.
Thank you for the recommendation.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I took the one day course at CSL because I wanted to learn fret dressing. It was ok but I found that one day was not enough to give me the confidence to try it by myself. And the certificate they gave me actually says "One Day" on it:eek:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you are building an acoustic, Sergei DeJong in Ottawa. They have on-site accommodation as well
When David Wren decided to get back to building he spent time with the DeJongs to re-ignite his chops.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
There's a guitar company in Vancouver that has a guitar building course. The name escapes me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts