The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have finally got our cold weather in southern Ontario. I put the acoustic guitar away for a few hours and got to finishing the ice rink for me and my grandkids. Its minus 20 here now in my neck of the woods so its perfect for making ice. Isnt it crazy how we bitch about how cold it is running from the car to the grocery store, but will spend 3 hours outside in this weather working on something that will bring joy to our loved ones. The liquid courage was a helping hand throughout the process. Lol . How tough are we as Canadians? Tell me your tales of cold or warm weather trials and tribulations.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've driven this country coast to coast 3 times in the winter. Halifax to Vancouver. This is a bloody tough country I tells ya with some hardy people.

Lived in a 92 civic for a year too... still had 3 guitars with me all the time. The funny thing about living in the car was winter was tolerable but summer, summer I couldn't handle and got an apartment. Canadians can handle the cold :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was born in Ontario and -20C was no probs. What I did have a problem with were the wild temperature swings from -25C to +5C in about 12 hours. That's murder on houses, concrete, cars, bones, skin, your wits - just awful stuff. And then 24 hours later, it's -25C again.

But it's true, when you're out in the snow screwing around with your friends, hardly notice it.

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
Haven’t skated in years. Great memories of it though.

Cold, yes. We get crazy bad whiteouts and temperature swings along Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I built a rink for my kids for several years. They loved it and it got them outside, but there was also something cathartic about being outside at night spraying down the rink with hot water.

It's been a long time since I camped in a tent in winter, but my son was out camping in -25C the first week of January - and loved it. It was a proud dad moment.

·
Premium Member
27,762 Posts
My last time on skates of any kind would have been the winter of 64-65. I had the first and only breakaway of my entire life. I self-narrated my way speedily down the ice toward the net ("Armstrong to Keon to Mahovlich, back to Keon...from the POINT!"), keeping my eye on the puck, completely neglecting where the net and boards were. Went headfirst into the boards (this predated helmets), knocked myself out, and awoke a little while later, looking up from the ice at a circle of people looking down at me, asking "Are you alright?".

It wasn't fear that kept me ff the ice since. My parents simply didn't bother to subsidize skate purchase after my preteen years, and my ankle strength lapsed.

But on the more general topic of cold and ice....
The snow in Edmonton tends to linger the entire winter, rather than melting and getting refreshed with new stuff. By virtue of its long exposure to the cold, it acquires a unique consistency, and especially acoustic qualities. There is a sound that Edmonton snow makes as you walk on it early in the morning, whose only comparable is the sound of "old school" amalgam material being squeezed into the prepared hole in a tooth, to make a filling. It is a squeak that sounds like an icepick through the forehead and makes one long for death. It is snow that is not "crisp", but rather aggressively resentful.

Ottawa tends to have successive waves of snow, coming and going over the winter. But this year has been more like Edmonton, with the snow that arrived in early December declaring this as its permanent mailing address, and getting packed down more and more. Hauling the garbage cans out to the curb, the snow under my feet is beginning to sound like Edmonton.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,627 Posts
The winter weather now is very unreliable for many winter sports. We used to snowmobile most of the winter many years ago but it's not worth taking the sleds out of the barn now. Up until 6 years ago, the main trail past right in front of our property...it's not feasible to have a club now.
Bunking behind cars is a long lost pastime now.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I tried a few times to build an outdoor rink. It always seemed when I had the time on my hands to do it, the weather was too warm, and when it was perfect, I was busy as f*ck! We did use the neighbors pond a few times when the old owner was there. Older, retired, homebody. She was totally OK with us traipsing across the front yard to the waaaaaay below street level pond. Made for an awesome wind block. Even that was a lot of work. I'd clean it off in the morning, let the sun hit it mid-day, then skate for a few hours before dusk. Was amazing. My kids have grown, and she sold to a family. It kinda saddens me that there are 3 kids in that house and they have never ever gone skating on that perfect pond.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I was always a fan of winter. Up until two years ago I was an avid skier and living 15 minutes away from a ski hill allowed me to get out on a regular basis. At one point in life I was skiing 3 or 4 times a week. I think being active in the outdoors over winter really helps with your tolerance of cold weather. Cold never used to bother me but not skiing these last two years (due mainly to Covid) has affected that. This morning reaching out the front door to get the newspaper out of the mailbox was an unpleasant experience.

·
Premium Member
Knaggs Kenai, Knaggs Choptank, Knaggs Honga, Fender Strat
154 Posts
I've was in McMurray for 20 years, just moved down south to the Crowsnest Pass area. I'd rather be in -40 in McMurray than -15 near the water in Nova Scotia where I grew up. The moisture in the air around water when it's cold with a bit of wind will chill you to the bone. You know when it's cold outside? When you go outside and it's cold..

For anyone who loves the cold weather I applaud you. For anyone who loves the cold weather who owns a nice acoustic I know you know how important it is to keep a humidifier going. That is one thing I don't like about the cold. How every nice acoustic I've ever owned just about I had to have the top repaired because of the northern Alberta winters, even with the humidifier going.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
It's a lot colder here in Wawa as it was compared to Stratford. It is a lot more tolerable though. Less damp, temperature swings, slush, and the like. Although I have burned more gas in my snow blower than I have in my truck over the last month. It's my newest hobby...lol.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I grew up in "Winterpeg"; -20C in January/February would be considered a beach day there!
I moved to Vancouver a few decades ago -- we had an arctic outflow cold snap at the beginning of this month where one morning, Vancouver was colder than Winnipeg -- I'm not bragging proudly about that...

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
My last time on skates of any kind would have been the winter of 64-65. I had the first and only breakaway of my entire life. I self-narrated my way speedily down the ice toward the net ("Armstrong to Keon to Mahovlich, back to Keon...from the POINT!"), keeping my eye on the puck, completely neglecting where the net and boards were. Went headfirst into the boards (this predated helmets), knocked myself out, and awoke a little while later, looking up from the ice at a circle of people looking down at me, asking "Are you alright?".

It wasn't fear that kept me ff the ice since. My parents simply didn't bother to subsidize skate purchase after my preteen years, and my ankle strength lapsed.

But on the more general topic of cold and ice....
The snow in Edmonton tends to linger the entire winter, rather than melting and getting refreshed with new stuff. By virtue of its long exposure to the cold, it acquires a unique consistency, and especially acoustic qualities. There is a sound that Edmonton snow makes as you walk on it early in the morning, whose only comparable is the sound of "old school" amalgam material being squeezed into the prepared hole in a tooth, to make a filling. It is a squeak that sounds like an icepick through the forehead and makes one long for death. It is snow that is not "crisp", but rather aggressively resentful.

Ottawa tends to have successive waves of snow, coming and going over the winter. But this year has been more like Edmonton, with the snow that arrived in early December declaring this as its permanent mailing address, and getting packed down more and more. Hauling the garbage cans out to the curb, the snow under my feet is beginning to sound like Edmonton.
That narration is priceless buddy. LOL .

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I love winter and cold weather. We were just out for a hike in the woods enjoying the -15c temps. I do miss the lack of snow in southern ON in the last few years. The drive for cross country skiing keeps getting longer.

Bundle up but get out there!

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
So we have finally got our cold weather in southern Ontario. I put the acoustic guitar away for a few hours and got to finishing the ice rink for me and my grandkids. Its minus 20 here now in my neck of the woods so its perfect for making ice. Isnt it crazy how we bitch about how cold it is running from the car to the grocery store, but will spend 3 hours outside in this weather working on something that will bring joy to our loved ones. The liquid courage was a helping hand throughout the process. Lol . How tough are we as Canadians? Tell me your tales of cold or warm weather trials and tribulations.
Do you need your driveway shovelled for free?! Lol I love shovelling snow. It is a passion of mine. And no .....I am not crazy I just love the exercise and solitude and my headphones cranked with some ACDC on them. Quality time.

·
Premium Member
15,234 Posts
I love shovelling snow
There must be some old folks on your/adjacent streets that would love seeing their driveways cleared.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Do you need your driveway shovelled for free?! Lol I love shovelling snow. It is a passion of mine. And no .....I am not crazy I just love the exercise and solitude and my headphones cranked with some ACDC on them. Quality time.
Are you my neighbour? :)

She’s out there at 5:30am doing her own walk, mine, and the two neighbours next to me. She also lives one a corner lot, so has an extra 150’ of sidewalk on the side of her house to clear. I try to get out there to do hers sometimes, but it’s usually already done before I get up.

I don’t mind shoveling snow either, but I need a coffee first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts