The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo-hoo! First post.

Right now, I'm listening to Neil Young: Road Rock. It's making me homesick.

When you're out of Canada, you don't hear Canadian music very often. Give me some bands to check out! Any genre.

And what's a good radio station to stream? I hit Q107 from time to time, but I find they're still using the same playlist that they were 15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Look for CHEZ 106 FM.
Canadian bands I listen to:

Madam X, Frank Soda, The Kings, Thor, April Wine, Lee Aaron, Triumph, The Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Dayglow Abortions, Razor, Exciter, Annihilator, Killer Dwarfs. I think you should search the Canadian music sites out there, that list them all. Theres alot of them out there................

·
Registered
627 Posts
Accept2 said:
Look for CHEZ 106 FM.

Madam X, Frank Soda, The Kings, Thor, April Wine, Lee Aaron, Triumph, The Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Dayglow Abortions, Razor, Exciter, Annihilator, Killer Dwarfs. I think you should search the Canadian music sites out there, that list them all. Theres alot of them out there................
wow lol, never heard of any of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Accept2 said:
Look for CHEZ 106 FM.

No offense, but i've only been gone a couple of years. Some of those bands have been around for a generation or two. I'm old enough to remember Lee Aaron BEFORE she did the "metal queen" thing :eek:

What's New? Who is new? What's the scene like?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I dont think I've heard any new Canadian bands in the past couple of years that can compare to the legendary ones. Theyre not even close. One day we will get one, but not today.............

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Actually check out Avril Lavigne. She was the last one to actually make some impact............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Accept2 said:
I dont think I've heard any new Canadian bands in the past couple of years that can compare to the legendary ones. Theyre not even close. One day we will get one, but not today.............
Seriously?

I was dead impressed with Sam Roberts. Saw him play just before I came over here, in 2003. Great show, and a great album.

I like listening to older artists from time to time, but I just can't get into it if it's an artist re-hashing the same stuff over and over again - or a radio station pulling out the same playlist every tuesday. It stagnates, nothing grows. And it doesn't inspire me to pick up my guitar and try something new.

But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
marshallman said:
If you like metal, gotta check out Voivod.
VOIVOD! Holy crap. Are they still around? I saw them sometime around 89 or 90.

Good idea though, I'll check around here and see if I can pick some up.

·
Registered
698 Posts
ex-pat said:
VOIVOD! Holy crap. Are they still around? I saw them sometime around 89 or 90.

Good idea though, I'll check around here and see if I can pick some up.
Yep. Jason Newsted on bass these days. Denis D'Amour (Piggy) passed away from cancer a few months ago, but they're putting a new album together using stuff he had been noodling around with. The last album wasn't bad, but certainly not as deadly as Dimension Hatross or Nothingface.

Kirb

·
Registered
698 Posts
Accept2 said:
Look for CHEZ 106 FM.

Pretty good list. Throw in Rush, Anvil, and Sheavy (local guys - had to plug them! And I love their stuff).

A friend of mine hangs out with the guy who played bass with "Dogs With Jobs" - if any of you remember those guys...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Corby Lund

ex-pat,

Without knowing your musical tastes, but to move away from some of the more mainstream artists already listed (don't get me wrong, cut my teeth on most of them, especially the Guess Who) you might consider checking out a good old prairie boy from Alberta...Corb Lund. I love this guy!

I'm not even related to him or interested in "country music" per se, but have to admit to buying a couple of his CD's and sitting down to learn a few of his songs. Here is a link to his website, which hosts some samples for your listening pleasure.

http://www.corblund.com/

peace!

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Sirius and Canadian Talent

I picked up a Sirius satellite radio and it has a few channels assigned to Canadian content. Emerging Canadian Artists, Canadian Rock Music, Canadian Soft Rock, Pop, Rock and Urban Music. The emerging artist channel is pretty good to listen into and check out the canadian scene. I assume XM Radio has the same thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good Canadian bands:

Cuff the Duke (Oshawa)
The Jimmy Swift Band (Halifax)
Crush Luther (Uxbridge)
Buried Inside (Ottawa)
Misery Signals (Edmonton/Wisconsin)
Cursed (Hamilton/Montreal)
The Gorgeous (Kelowna/Montreal)

...to name a few.