The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I was given an oddball combo amp supposedly Canadian made in the 60s called a "Keil" Its all p2p wiring and look like they were made as one-offs judging by all of the scribe marks on the chassis. Power is from a pair of 6AQ5s into a 12" marsland spkr. The metal cabinet is kind of wierd but interesting nonetheless as is the ac outlet in the control panel to plug in a turntable.

The reverb unit is in the bottom of the cabinet and is powered from an ac outlet in the underside of the chassis.

Scary but it works!

Has anyone else ever seen, heard or owned one?

·
Registered
253 Posts
That amp looks a lot like a Cobra amp i serviced a while back.the chassis is the same and a lot of the internal components are the same as well.In montreal in the 60's there was a compnay that made amps for different companies that distributed them under different names.

www.claramps.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
kiel amp

i have recently found the identical chassis in a 1-12" combo amp called a velvetone president. same control panel. kitchener electronics is what kiel stands for. sounds nice, it's got that tube thing. my camera's broken so i can't post a pic, but i thought i was the only one with one of these. the tone lounge website has a kiel just like my velvetone but no other eferences on the web that i can find.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
i have recently found the identical chassis in a 1-12" combo amp called a velvetone president. same control panel. kitchener electronics is what kiel stands for. sounds nice, it's got that tube thing. my camera's broken so i can't post a pic, but i thought i was the only one with one of these. the tone lounge website has a kiel just like my velvetone but no other eferences on the web that i can find.
I've got one of theses Keil's as well! I tried a while ago to find info on them and came upon the Kitchener Electronics name but note the spelling is KEil not KIel. I wonder if these are the same?

·
Registered
497 Posts
That amp looks a lot like a Cobra amp i serviced a while back.the chassis is the same and a lot of the internal components are the same as well.In montreal in the 60's there was a compnay that made amps for different companies that distributed them under different names.

www.claramps.com

Are you refering to Pepco amps. Here is a link to one fellow forumer website (hope he don't mind...)

http://sites.google.com/site/pepcotubeampinfo/

Nice amp BTW :rockon:

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
i also want to know what it sounds like.
I'm guessing, regardless of what the amp itself is like, with that Marsland speaker in there it's got to sound something like "Flubbh"
Can't understand putting all that work into building those amps then pairing with those speakers. What were they thinking?

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
I'm guessing, regardless of what the amp itself is like, with that Marsland speaker in there it's got to sound something like "Flubbh"
Can't understand putting all that work into building those amps then pairing with those speakers. What were they thinking?
Long before Nafta. Marslands were Cdn made. British Pound was way higher. Duties, etc,... A LOT cheaper to put Marslands in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a keil p.a. amp i had modded by gar gillies. it's awesome. it has rogers tubes in it which might be mullards. i still have to check into that... anyone care to see it? also, i saw one of those combos at a place in kamloops or kelowna or something like that while on tour once. a few years ago i contacted someone in a library who worked for the city of kitchener and she tried to dig up some info on the company. only thing she found was a company that existed or was atleast registered for two years in the 60's. i'll see if i can dig up the email...

·
Registered
2 Posts
kiel.

Some time ago I was given an oddball combo amp supposedly Canadian made in the 60s called a "Keil" Its all p2p wiring and look like they were made as one-offs judging by all of the scribe marks on the chassis. Power is from a pair of 6AQ5s into a 12" marsland spkr. The metal cabinet is kind of wierd but interesting nonetheless as is the ac outlet in the control panel to plug in a turntable.

The reverb unit is in the bottom of the cabinet and is powered from an ac outlet in the underside of the chassis.

Scary but it works!

Has anyone else ever seen, heard or owned one?
yes i have. i have a velvetone president which is the same electronics and panel layout as the kiel, so it must be a different line from the same factory. tone lounge has a picture of another kiel and i just put mine up for sale on used victoria. i have a nice fender amp and i'm a bassist primarily so i'm selling it. sounds great, actually but it's clean right up to the top of the volume. no prob, just use a pedal.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Kitchener Electric Instruments Limited (KEIL) - cool old amps, i've played a few and they were great - none as meaty as that one though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keil was a wholesaler who had this line made for them , they often used bronze coloured covers , typical Marsland speakers, never saw many east of Ontario.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts