The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna make a bold statement but one that's very true. That is, all things considered, Canadian Luthiers currently making acoustic guitars are simply the best anywhere. PERIOD! (as Spicy would say).

Manzer, Beneteau, Greenfield, Laskin, White, Michaud, Pellerin, DeJonge, Beauregard etc, etc, etc... Not to mention the "volume" makers: Godin (Seagull, S&P, La Patrie), Boucher and others.

So there you have it. 3 cheers for Canadian Luthiers! YOU are the very best at what you do and THANK YOU for doing what you do. Impressive!

PS Larrivees don't qualify anymore ... they are made in the US now... shame on them!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I don't have experience with international luthiers for comparison, but: I've been to Guitar Day at Exotic Woods in Burlington, and the local acoustic guitars there are outstanding. All made by hand from scratch over several months.

Also your list is missing Paul Saunders from down around St Catherines, and Joe Yanuziello (who is supposed to be opening a new shop soon). Both are luthier veterans making astounding guitars. Paul specializes in archtops. Joe may be more electric focused.

And lastly, I'll add a young lady named Ashley Rowley (Ashley Leanne Guitars) currently in Cambridge, Ontario. She apprenticed with Paul Saunders. And I have just commissioned her to make my first high end acoustic. She has recently made guitars for Lights, and Terra Lightfoot.

·
Premium Member
11,662 Posts
I am as supportive as most folks when it comes to Cdn guitars, but I don't know if one nationality is demonstrably better than another. Rather, we live in the golden age of luthiery, when the research and development, skill, design, aesthetics, are almost beyond what was previously possible, and advancements defy time and political borders.

I have played probably hundreds of guitars from around the world, and will attest that Cdn builders compare favourably. Given the choice I will err on the side of my homeland, my neighbours, and my economy, which is why I play mostly Beneteau, House, and Godin guitars.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
You missed a few - Dave Iannone and Shelley Parks, to name two. And there's more yet that haven't been mentioned. As @Mooh said, we are in a golden age of luthiery.

But BEST is a pretty big word. And the world's a pretty big place. The Canadian luthiers don't take a back seat to anyone, but to say they are better than the Froggy Bottom boys or Kevin Ryan or George Lowden or Jim Olson is a bit homerish or myopic, IMHO.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Probably not the best in the world as that's too hard to qualify. But I love the sentiment of the thread and agree that there are a number of really nice guitars coming out of the GWN.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
There are no doubt some excellent luthiers in Canada and I am a fan of a lot of the products that Godin manufactures. At the now defunct Montreal Guitar Show, there were luthiers from all over the world there with their creations. There is just too much talent and diversity in the industry to say the best are all in one country. I remember there being some very beautiful guitars from France and Germany. Froggy Bottom Guitars are also very desirable instruments if you can convince yourself or your spouse to part with several thousand dollars.

I have to appreciate the skill and talent of people who craft beautiful and exciting instruments no matter what gene pool they come from but if you can find someone close to home that can produce what you want, it's always better to have them close by rather than thousands of miles or oceans away.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I agree !!!

But to some, if It don't say Fender or Gibson on it... its crap !!! ;)
Not in the acoustic world. One of those is complete crap and the other one is quite divisive (good ones and bad ones abound). The acoustic world has a whole different set of players (pun intended).

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Not in the acoustic world. One of those is complete crap and the other one is quite divisive (good ones and bad ones abound). The acoustic world has a whole different set of players (pun intended).
Wow !!!

Others ( not American's ) are capable of making a decent guitar !!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm floored !!! :rolleyes:

:D

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Wow !!!

Others ( not American's ) are capable of making a decent guitar !!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm floored !!! :rolleyes:

:D
The bigger news might be that Americans, at least some of them, still make good guitars, too. Along with Canadians and Japanese and Irish and Germans and Koreans and Mexicans and ...............

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm gonna make a bold statement but one that's very true. That is, all things considered, Canadian Luthiers currently making acoustic guitars are simply the best anywhere. PERIOD! (as Spicy would say).

Manzer, Beneteau, Greenfield, Laskin, White, Michaud, Pellerin, DeJonge, Beauregard etc, etc, etc... Not to mention the "volume" makers: Godin (Seagull, S&P, La Patrie), Boucher and others.

So there you have it. 3 cheers for Canadian Luthiers! YOU are the very best at what you do and THANK YOU for doing what you do. Impressive!

PS Larrivees don't qualify anymore ... they are made in the US now... shame on them!
I agree, but I would add a "Boutique" category as Boucher is far from being a big volume manufacturer like Godin, Martin or Taylor. Boucher probably do in a year what the others are doing in a week.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
I have four guitars and two of them were made in Canada.

I bought my Larrivee 15 years ago and it was made in Canada. :)

I wouldn't say Canadian luthiers are the best though; they're just a unique flavour that is Canadian.

There are a lot of outstanding luthiers south of the border who build guitars in the American tradition, as well as many around the world.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Americans make a fine guitar as well but the tariffs now will kill you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts