The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I live in Vernon BC and I am blessed to know 5 world class builders in my area that sell very high quality hand crafted instruments from $2500 to $10,000. I also know another 5 talented builders around Vancouver area, and have researched more talented luthiers in Ontario and Quebec. Canada has become known as a hotbed for world class custom guitars so LETS HEAR FROM YOU PROUD OWNERS . By handmade we mean...one man shop... SORRY this doesn't apply for Canadian factory brands (like Godin).
I am the proud owner of a KRONBAUER that was built here in Vernon BC and its fan freaking tastic in every way. I would put it up against any guitar in the world..its that good! Other great builders in my area worthy of mention are Northwood, Riversong and Thompson. I have tried all their guitars and all were stellar.
Other BC builders on the coast worthy of mention are Nicole Alosinac, Prestige, Avalon, Joi, Dragonfly, and Morgan. I have friends in Ontario that rave about Laplante, and House guitars. Lets hear from you provinces! Promote your local luthier. Why??? Because Canadian handmade is the best!

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
You forgot Tinker and Halcyon

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have to agree that proportionally speaking, Canada has the best Luthiers in the world. Not far from where I live, Linda Manzer has her Almonte shop. Peggy White is there too. Sergei Dejong lives in Chelsea and Graff lives a few klicks away. Just right there are four world class builders in my “neighbourhood” kind of. Of course, there are dozens more throughout Ontario and Quebec just to mention those 2 provinces.

I just wish I could afford any of these guitars!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Curious have you ever had the pleasure to play any of Nicole's guitars I know she has been building guitars for a short time but is well experienced to do so.

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
In our little village we have an experienced luthier, Robert Lynch, but he only builds mandolins. He will rebuild a guitar if you ask and has several that are waiting to be done but he doesn't specialize in acoustic guitars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my area the Kootenay,s in BC there are quite a few good builders. I think Doug Thompson has been around the longest. I don’t own one of his guitars but he has done lots of set up and repair for many of us around here. I own 3 electric guitars made by Tom Muskovich but he also makes top notch acoustics

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oskar Graf is one of the finest guitar builders I know of. Certainly worth looking at his website, one man shop. I have a couple of his guitars, a 6 string & a 7 string- both in stunning old growth Brazilian Rosewood.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
In my area the Kootenay,s in BC there are quite a few good builders. I think Doug Thompson has been around the longest. I don’t own one of his guitars but he has done lots of set up and repair for many of us around here. I own 3 electric guitars made by Tom Muskovich but he also makes top notch acoustics
Where does Doug Thompson work out of?

I was is Kaslo years ago and there was a shop with some local made quitars?

·
Premium Member
10,925 Posts
A couple of times I had the privilege of babysitting a friend's Ted Thompson mahogany/spruce acoustic guitar. He (my friend) has since passed away and I regret not purchasing the guitar and keeping it "alive" for his memory as it is a stellar instrument and I feel an attachment. Funny how sentiment controls our other thoughts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts