The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about the great Canadian guitar players that are or have been on the scene. There are a lot of them, some that we might not be aware of, and some that we are aware of but are underrated or unnoticed in the music world in general.
I'll start with Brian Smith of Trooper, Colin James, Pat Travers, Kim Mitchell, Brian MacLeod (sadly RIP), Gerry Doucette, throw some names in if you please...
Of course we all know about Randy Bachman and Alex Lifeson and the more famous ones, but I just wanted to start this thread to make myself and others out there more aware of some of our great talented players that we should listen to and appreciate. Feel free to give us those names of some other Canuck axemen that we should check out!
-Mikey

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Brian MacLeod did some great guitar work, he was also the drummer for a few records.

My list of additions;
Kim Mitchell
Russ Broom
Ian Crichton of Saga
Pete Lesperance of Harem Scarem
Derry Grehan of Honeymoon Suite
The Haywire guy, can't think of his name
Steve Shelski of Coney Hatch
Keith Scott of Bryan Adams band

Reactions: Sixstringheaven

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've always liked Jag Tanna and Mike Turner of I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace respectively. Both excellent guitarists

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Welladjusted said:
I've always liked Jag Tanna and Mike Turner of I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace respectively. Both excellent guitarists
Mike Turner is doing a side gig with Pete Lesperance these days, I think he quit OLP.

http://fairgroundtheband.com/vote/

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Let's not forget Jeff Healey and Robbie Robertson.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Michel Cusson (formerly of UZEB)
Rick Santers

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
WarrenG said:
Rick Santers
Rick Santers was great on those old tunes!

Rik Emmett hasn't been mentioned yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
CalgaryTerry said:
Mike Turner is doing a side gig with Pete Lesperance these days, I think he quit OLP.

http://fairgroundtheband.com/vote/
He's been out of OLP for a while now. They replaced him with a very talented guitarist, but one with more mainstream sensibilities. I love how haphazardly melodic Turner's solos were. Steve Mazur can pull it off when they play their older material, but his own playing is much different

·
Registered
22 Posts
David, totally agree with you on Tony Springer...killer guitarist. I agree with all the mentions here.

I'll add:

Jack Dekeyzer
Jeff Martin
Michael Pickett
Shawn Goodwin

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WarrenG said:
Rick Santers
I LOVED Uzeb, and still follow Alain Caron when I get a chance. In my opinion, he has to be one of the greatest bassists in the world, and I guess yeah, we can include bassists in this thread, too (since I started it LOL!).
-Mikey

1 - 20 of 376 Posts