The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Which sets would you buy?

• None. I'm happy with my current strings.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Extra Light .008-.038

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Light .009-.040

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Regular .010-.045

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Heavy .011-.050

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Extra Heavy .012-.054

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Custom

Votes: 8 18.2%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking into manufacturing our very own custom formulated strings. Electric guitar only, treated nickel/steel, pre-made sets with calculated balanced tension for reduced neck stress , optimal feel, and consistent (with optional 7th string):
Extra Light - .008 - .038 (.052)
Light - .009 - .040 (.054)
Regular - .010 - .045 (.060)
Heavy - .011 - .050 (.065)
Extra Heavy - .012 - .054 (.070)

EDIT: All pre-made sets will have an optional "dropped" 6th string (thicker 6th string). Regular, heavy, and extra heavy sets would have an optional wound G (18w, 20w, and 21w respectively.)

Also, custom sets up to as many as 12 strings, any size/combo you need!

Pre-made sets would be priced around $6-$7 per set. Custom sets vary based on string choices and number of strings. Strings will be available sold individually as well.

Any interest??

Future possibility: We're currently working on the math for balanced tension multi-scale sets.

Edit: Added info asked in later threads.

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Jonathan it would be hard for me to change string company as i have been a die hard user of D'addario for over 30 years .
I use about 20 sets a year of 10-46 and 9-42. They would have to be same feel and no issues. Let me know when you get some in and i will try them out as i like dealing with you. Top notch service all the time buddy

·
Premium Member
17,176 Posts
I feel like im used to unbalanced tension though. Years of 10-52 means Im used to bending with ease and pounding on my low strings.

P

·
0 Posts
As far as interest I will be honest and say no, I have used Ernie Ball Slinky's for at least 30 years, and I am not going to change now. I probably have 30-40 sets in inventory as well.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I feel like im used to unbalanced tension though. Years of 10-52 means Im used to bending with ease and pounding on my low strings.
That's where custom sets come in. You can make any combination you want! :)
9-40 should be 9-42...
Our sets are designed from the ground up with a perfectly balanced feel in mind (at least, as close as our manufacturer will allow.) 9-40 is correct. You won't believe how incredible it feels. Plus you get the bonus of even tension on the neck. Great to help reduce odd neck warps/twists due to uneven string tension.

If you want 9-42, you can certainly make a custom set for that. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Will have to double check, but I don't think any of them come with a wound G. :(
Yeah , I said maybe because 20 can be either plain or wound, but usually wound - that’s the threshold for the change it seems.

What about flats and bass strings ( also flat)? Assuming these you talking about here are nickel ( or hybrid) rounds.

If custom sets are possible then there would also be singles ? What about bulk packs ( like d’addario does)?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah , I said maybe because 20 can be either plain or wound, but usually wound - that’s the threshold for the change it seems.
Yeah. I'll have to double check when I'm at the office tomorrow.

What about flats and bass strings ( also flat)? Assuming these you talking about here are nickel ( or hybrid) rounds.
Treated Nickel/Steel Rounds, electric guitar only for first production run. If they are successful then we'll look into more types/options.

If custom sets are possible then there would also be singles ? What about bulk packs ( like d’addario does)?
Definitely singles. We deal with dealers and repair shops. They will want LOTS of singles. No plans for bulk packs as of yet. Maybe?

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
I use different gauges on different guitars--so some of those work, but I would probably go with custom-especially if I was looking for new strings for my Epi Mandobird (what I have done was use two 10-46 sets I got free & pick out 4 strings from each & use those--I forget the gauges off the top of my head--but I have it written down.
Getting a set custom for it would better than buying 2 sets and having 4 strings left over.

Reactions: jbealsmusic

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would try sets from 9 to 12, but most probably will use 10s for 25.5 and 11s for 24.75 scale. However my big issue is that I am "rusting" string extremely quickly and I switched to coated strings (elixirs). Especially D'Addarios are ridiculous for me. After 30-60 mins of playing, they will start to rust... Must be that my sweat is too acidic

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Eee.... these are for electric guitar I guess... ain't it ?
P.S. You do not say which metal or alloy they would be made of...

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eee.... these are for electric guitar I guess... ain't it ?
P.S. You do not say which metal or alloy they would be made of...
Answered already in other posts in this thread. Treated nickel/steel, electric only for first production run. If successful, we may look into other types/options.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just following up on the "wound G" question.

With our manufacturer, plain steel strings can go as high as .024". Wound strings can go as low as .018". We don't currently have plans to carry wound G strings, or sets that contain them. Is there a demand/need for them? "Like" this comment and let us know what size(s) if you think so.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts