The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Warren, we may have spoken to each other but never introduced ourselves. These photos are from the competition last year (2006). Look familiar?

I don't understand how anyone could have mistaken Antoine's playing for Don's. Although, since they have been touring together Antoine has developed quite a sense of humour, similar to Don's. He really has come out of his shell and performs now. Whereas before he just played good music.

It's too bad that David Gillis will be known for only two things. That guy who does the Spiderman TV show theme and being Ariana's father. Ditto for Carter and Shawn. I also think Richard Elliot gets overlooked. Anybody who can finger pick a twelve string like he does deserves to win something.

I agree it's disappointing that Andy McKee never won. However, he's become quite a star in spite of that fact. Again, I think touring with Don has helped his career greatly. But WOW... talk about your DR clones, he's the biggest one out there. I think you just disproved your own statement. Even Andy admits he's been trying to imitate Don ever since he first heard him. And now he's doing it better the Don himself. Just listen to his renditions of Don's tune Trite Tight Night. (Either the 3 or the 4 minute versions.)

If Tommy played one of his aboriginal tunes (where he scratches the top with his finger nails and beats on the body with a stick) he'd make the top three for sure.

Let me know about the scrap book competitions. I have a sister and a sister-in-law that would be shoe ins for a top finish. :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Stephen,

I haven't attended the show the past couple of years but have been getting the recap from friends of mine (David Carriere and Pat Ang) who've been kicking around.

What's that rosewood guitar you're playing? I recognize the Andrew White...

Regarding Andy and company, I think the issue may be the thumbpick and its natural rhythms that are hard to get away from. To me, Andy always sounded more influenced by Stephen Bennett.

See if you can hear my Antoine/Don confusion, in Naissance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYv2br1Ic0w

·
Registered
161 Posts
Warren, thank you for bringing this to my attention. No high speed out this way yet. So I went and dug up my copy of Antoine's 1st CD and had a listen. I had forgotten just how good it is.

Yes, I see (hear) what you're referring to. The first two tracks, Naissance and Scratch have a funky DR like groove to 'em and that thumping thumb driving the base line is very evident in there too.

Ah, you mean the custom cutaway. It was a special order Larrivee with 2" nut and Mermaid inlay. Grant tracked it down for my sister-in-law eight years ago. It was a retirement gift from her to my brother. It didn't draw much attention at Odessa until after I played it. Then I had several people come up to me and ask what it was. They all commented that it was the richest sounding instrument out of everything that they had heard all weekend. That included all the fine hand crafted instruments as well as the Taylors and Martins. You'd almost think it was Brazilian, it has such presence and huge amounts of sustain. But Grant said it was Indian Rosewood. It's a fantastic sounding instrument. I designed "Fast Eddie" based on that instrument. He was to have been finished in time for the competition. And although he was, just... he was sitting in West Virginia and we had no way to get him to Odessa for Sunday. So, I borrowed the Larrivee for the competition. Then I drove down to Morgantown on the Monday to pick up Fast Eddie.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
man, you guys are saying don ross clones like it's a bad thing, lol.

i used to play a lot of fingerstyle guitar, it's hard to be from canada and escape don's influence, he's one of the flat out best guitarists this country has produced. i had the good fortune to take a few lessons from him way back in 1990, and i'm still trying to figure out the stuff he showed me, haha (and, not only is he way too good, he's also one of the nicest people in the world).

i think that i moved away from fingerstyle and into more standard tuning "regular" guitar playing though, because it's so hard to forge an identity in fingerstyle. first off you have these friggin MONSTER players, the hedges/juber/don ross/bruce cockburn/pierre bensusan/etc guys who've covered pretty much all the extended technique stuff completely, secondly most of the workable tunings have been well explored now too. it's also pretty hard to collaborate when you're in a cgdgce variant tuning. i guess it was my limitations though, i've been sort of thinking about putting my guitar back in dadgad for a while, like the old days. i have a yairi that might be nice for that stuff. anyways, no point, just rambling.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts