The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you living in Eastern Ontario may be interested in this upcoming event. I saw this advertised in the pages of Fingerstyle Guitar magazine awhile back. http://www.canadianguitarfestival.com/ Interesting to see that Rik Emmett is one of the performers.

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
I went a couple of years ago for the whole weekend and camped on site. The picking was fantastic but the crowds were small.

If you go, check out Josh House guitars, he'll be displaying his acoustics.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey I saw a poster for this event on the weekend...
I am thinking I will attend this year.....if possible....
its just a few kms out of kingston...
should be a good event...

Auger

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh, you do not want to miss this event. It gets better each year. Small crowds means a very personable and intimate setting. I spent over a half hour speaking one on one with Rik Emmett back in 2004. In fact all the performers are very approachable. Check out the links to the performers and be sure to watch their videos and go to their websites to hear more of their music. Andy McKee had the top rated video on youtube for weeks. Pino Forastiere is one of my favourite European performers. Wendell Ferguson is one of the funniest song writers of all time. You'll fall in love with Brooke Miller and Kristen Sweetland. Be amazed by Don Ross, Antoine Dufour and all the rest. Ariana Gillis is fast becoming the next Averill Levine. Don't take my word for it, come out and see (hear) for yourself.
I'll be there all three days. I'm in the competition on Sunday. My goal is to break into the top ten.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey all....
anyone else attend the weekend activities.....?
it was an eye opener for me.....these fingerstyle players have my utmost respect....they have talent...for sure.....
I arrived about 8pm friday night...to catch Rik Emmett..which as a good show
then I got to see Don Ross for the first time....man this guy can play.....
absolutely amazing.....
we camped the weekend at the park....which was interesting...lol
Saturday was one great player after another......for 12 solid hours.....
though you had to show some endurance to sit in the hot sun for such a long time.....
the highlights for me were David and Ariana Gillis,Kristen Sweetland,Brooke Miller with Don Ross and the top performance for me was Pino Forastiere...
this guy was truely amazing....
the night part of the show was good too....with Andy Mckee....
and last but not least Wild T and the Spirit....these guys rocked the blues tunes......my kinda music.....for a 2 hour set.....

saturday night was a loud and drunken party night for the trailer park dwellers....though the campers attending the festival were well behaved....

sunday was the fingerstyle competition which displayed some new and old talents.....there are some serious players in this country .....
we left before they finished due to the heat and lack of shade....plus I got quite sun burnt...... so I am still waiting to hear who won and placed....

I will try to put up some pictures once I get them uploaded....
I took quite a few shots of the luthiers guitars on display.....

I hope to attend again next year....if possible...to see these great players
again

Auger

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey all
I thought I would put up a few shots of the guitars for sale and on display
at the festival....
they were from luthiers belanger, house,saradip and eastwood

Auger

·
Registered
214 Posts
and a couple of the performers
David and Ariana Gillis....this girl has a powerful voice

Kirstin Sweetland very talented

left to right at the work shop
Andy Mckee,Wendell Ferguson,Kirstin Sweetland,Don Ross and Brooke Miller

great show

Auger

·
Registered
874 Posts
Wow! Looks like fun. I had to work the weekend but it looks like it may be a worthwhile use of some vacation time next year. And it's just around the corner from me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You won't be disappointed...

Perhaps we could even have a little meet and greet for forum members next year..

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey crossroads...and Tarl...
thats an excellent Idea...
there seems to be a fair number of forum members in the kingston and surrounding area's...
they have camping in the park,,,,,and some sites have electricity...which would have the makings for an excellent jam..../meet and greet....
maybe the spitfires could join us????

I was hoping to run into some forum members this year but of all the people I
talked to none were from this forum.....
I may have seen Steven W....since he was participating in the competition...
but they only had contestant numbers and no names...

by the way Steven...W...I didnt get to find out who won.. this year...and was hoping you could shed some light on that topic...???????

Auger

·
Registered
183 Posts
Steven W was definitely there wearing the hat that he is wearing in his Avatar.

Didn't get a chance to talk to you this year...may see you around a house concert at Louise in the future.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for not getting back right away.
Yes, it was another FUNtastic weekend. No rain, lots of sun, (must thank DEL for the huge tent) and what a stellar line up of talent.
I too met and talked with a lot of people but no one from the list.
I won't be surprised if I learn I finished last. Some of the people in the competition were better then the paid performers.
Anyway here's the winners list.
1st Craig D'Andrea / CT USA
2nd Don Alder / Vancouver BC CA
3rd Stefano Barone / Rome Italy
You can get all the info at the Festival website.
http://www.canadianguitarfestival.com/

Lets make plans for a Canadian Guitar Forum's Meet-n-Greet area for next year.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Stephen,

Although I have a rather strong and unwavering opinion about guitar competitions, did you enjoy the experience yourself? Would you do it again? And... is it just me, or is there a disturbing trend of Don Ross-heads (clones) winning this thing year-after-year?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Stephen,

Although I have a rather strong and unwavering opinion about guitar competitions, did you enjoy the experience yourself? Would you do it again? And... is it just me, or is there a disturbing trend of Don Ross-heads (clones) winning this thing year-after-year?
Hi Warren,
Music, (dance, ice skating...) competitions can be very subjective, biased and the outcome totally without merit. I did Odessa last year for my wife. She seems to think I have talent and wants me to play out, even record a CD. I thought that playing in the competition would show whether or not she was right. It also gave me a series of goals. The biggest of which was to get over my stage fright.
Last year I was a nervous wreck and made lots of mistakes. So it was a big surprise to me when I learned that I had finished 12th. However, there was a very wide range of talent and playing styles. That may have helped my finishing just shy of the top ten. So to answer your questions, I had a BLAST! So much so that I had to enter again this year and will do so again next year. I haven't thought about seeing if there are other competitions around. If I looked and found a couple to enter I might find that they are not as much fun.

This year with the calibre of talent being so high I knew right off I didn't have a chance. So, with no pressure to score high I just let the music flow and enjoyed playing all that much more. And the camaraderie amongst the players gets better each year. I remember seeing guys giving each other the evil eye and playing head games back in 2004. But I saw none of that last year or this.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment about the DR clones. It is a "Fingerstyle" competition after all. So, you have to expect lots of hammering, tapping, harmonics and bongo hits. So yes, the winners have been more in the "current vein" rather than say that of a Chet Atkins. But if you check out their music you'll see they each have their own unique styles.
RobertTaylor 2004
ErickTurnbull 2005
AntoineDuFour 2006
CraigDAndrea 2007
And the runners up have included people from as a diverse group as you can get. Kelly Valleau (2nd in 2006) is strictly a nylon stringed classical player. He doesn't even like to pick up a steel stringed instrument, (until he played my guitar "Fast Eddie"). And David Gillis (top five two years running) is more of a singer, song writer in the Paul Simon / Bob Dylan vein.

come on, try it... you'll like it:banana:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment about the DR clones. It is a "Fingerstyle" competition after all. So, you have to expect lots of hammering, tapping, harmonics and bongo hits. So yes, the winners have been more in the "current vein" rather than say that of a Chet Atkins. But if you check out their music you'll see they each have their own unique styles.
RobertTaylor 2004
ErickTurnbull 2005
AntoineDuFour 2006
CraigDAndrea 2007
And the runners up have included people from as a diverse group as you can get. Kelly Valleau (2nd in 2006) is strictly a nylon stringed classical player. He doesn't even like to pick up a steel stringed instrument, (until he played my guitar "Fast Eddie"). And David Gillis (top five two years running) is more of a singer, song writer in the Paul Simon / Bob Dylan vein.
I'm glad you had fun. That's cool that you've attended years past. I'm surprised we never met.

I'd agree that Robert Taylor and Erick Turnbull march to the beat of their own drummers. Where are they now? The other two - not a chance. The year Antoine placed 2nd (2005), his indy CD was on the PA the day before the comp! I asked Don if this was his new stuff... 'nuff said.

Love Gillis. Liked him a few years ago in the comp (the Spiderman thing had me in stitches). I thought Shawn Trotter and Carter Lancaster were overlooked in years past too. Anyway, I always felt the greatest travesty was Andy McKee not winning - and look at who among the aforementioned has had the biggest impact, to date, on younger players...

Tommy Emmanuel wouldn't win, place, or show at this gig.

You mentioned dancing and figure skating as being subjectively judged. True. But they are evolved competitive activities. The guitar thing I put on the same level as cooking and hairstyling comps. I'm waiting to hear about the Scrapbooking World Championships... I'll send the missus.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts