The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the negative crap going on in this world of ours, i had the good fortune of going to see a recruiting officer with a young friend of mine who is thinking of joining the forces. I was blown away by how positive and helpful the gentleman was. I learned a lot about what is required to join and how high our standards are in this country. They only select 10% of applicants. Great career opportunities . I know there are a few members here who are part of this elite group of men and woman and wanted to say thank you for all you have done. I have a new found admiration for our forces.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Several of my friends were/are in the military. The Canadian ones all report a positive experience for the most part and stayed in until retirement, one of my American friends couldn't get out quick enough it seems. I was actively discouraged by my father when I was too young to enlist, so that by the time I could enlist I had no interest. He was a WW2 vet who stayed in the militia until the early '70s...perhaps he didn't want his kids to experience what he had, which was basically "war is hell".

Glad we have them, wouldn't want to be them.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I would have been rejected and they would have been 110% right to do so.

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
One of my friends is retired armed forces. His pension can't be that good cause he's still working at 67. He thought he'd have it made when he hit 65 and started receiving Old age pension, but his military pension was reduced by about the same amount so he didn't gain a thing. Pretty sh1tty way to treat our forces IMHO.
Hopefully things have been improved over the years.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
Hats off to anyone that takes up that challenge.

My nephew did a few "contracts", for lack of a better term.
That set him off into the mechanical career that he's in today.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hats off to anyone that takes up that challenge.

My nephew did a few "contracts", for lack of a better term.
That set him off into the mechanical career that he's in today.
Hopefully my young friend will find something that will suit him. He is still not sure what yet as he is only 18. He was very impressed at all the advantages that they offer.

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Hopefully my young friend will find something that will suit him. He is still not sure what yet as he is only 18. He was very impressed at all the advantages that they offer.
That's one thing about the ex-services guys I know. They all came out of there highly skilled in a good trade, and they've seen more of the world than most of us could ever hope to. The ones that got out at about 45ish and found jobs in their area of expertise seemed to fair the best in the game of life. Those that stayed longer for whatever reason, ended up not so well off.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Son was 7 yrs 3VP. For the OP, from a father's perspective I couldn't believe the amount and quality of training he received, nor the support we were offered while he was overseas. From his exp as well as other people I know it's certain the army will find the perfect fit for both your friend's abilities and desires.
He wanted to see the world and he definitely did see a large part of it, although some weren't area's you'd want to vacation. That depends on your trade.
Son seriously considered making it his career; last couple yrs he was pretty much instructing full time. The friends he made in the army are without a doubt friends for life and the very highest quality of people.

Joke is while a Very smart kid he hated school, joined the army and the first thing the army did was put him in school(courses) for about 2 yrs straight. :)
I still remember his first call home from basic, "For the first time in my life, everyone here is just like me".

BTW, you can still send a Christmas card/letter to, "Any CF member" for free. Can't send pckgs anymore without a specific recipient, however every base has a, "military family resource center" you can drop off books or whatever and they'll get them to someone overseas.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
our favorite cabinet maker Derrick Bell is a member of the armed forces, air force IIRC. I know quite a few people in the forces and they all have my full respect.

Reactions: marcos

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a little over 22 years, am a combat vet, and am currently deployed overseas. If you want a no bullshit answer about anything then feel free to PM me. I can’t talk specifics about recruiting since it’s been so long and things change, but if he has any questions about specific trades I’ll answer what I can.

Beyond that, I’ll say that the army is both the best and the worst job simultaneously. I get to do things most people only see in movies, but the cool shit is usually surrounded by suck at both ends.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,116 Posts
I have a little over 22 years, am a combat vet, and am currently deployed overseas. If you want a no bullshit answer about anything then feel free to PM me. I can’t talk specifics about recruiting since it’s been so long and things change, but if he has any questions about specific trades I’ll answer what I can.

Beyond that, I’ll say that the army is both the best and the worst job simultaneously. I get to do things most people only see in movies, but the cool shit is usually surrounded by suck at both ends.

Cheers
Lots of suck... there's places I've been wish I hadn't and things I'd rather forget. But I also wouldn't have seen 1/4 of the places I have with a different career. I was never gonna do anything else though. As much as I hate my job sometimes, I'm good at it and the pay and benefits are great. My only regret is not joining right out of high school, I'd be 2 years from retirement if I had and as things stand I have about 11.5 to go.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
I was raised an air force brat. My dad did 20 years as an aero engine technician. I often think I would have been well suited to a career in the armed forces but my path led me elswhere.

I have high respect for those who serve.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Thank you so much for your service those serving now and the past. As a kid always wished I could have served but alas my handicap disqualified me even though my shooting skill was pretty darn good. It just makes me feel wonderful knowing that there are still young folks who want to join t,he military and help make a difference in this crazy world of our as.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My dad was Air Force and then when the time was right he moved to the hangar next door and worked for Transport Canada. All in, he spent 44 years serving this country and always stood at attention for the National Anthem whether it be at home watching his Leafs or at the bar with his old work buddies.

Man, I sure do miss that guy...

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
It’s the shits that we need armed forces, but because humans are such a disgusting species, we probably always will.

Evolution takes time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts