The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey, thanks. :)

Besides that...um...man it's hard to think of any more...

Oh wait, Mayfly amps. Oh man, I just went to check for the link and discovered he's not making amps anymore. That's sad. He made some cool stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another builder I know of is Glenn Morris in Welland, Ontario. His amps are used by the Trews among others. He is also a wicked good tech who has fixed a number of my blown up amps. www.morrisamps.com

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Clara Amps

There is also Clara Amps in Calgary. Keith McNeil builds Marshall and Fender Tweed designs from scratch with high quality components.

The band Chixdiggit used his Marshall clones for their Euro/Asian tour and the feedback he got was that they loved them.

I have heard his tweed deluxe (and compared it to Victorias) and as a result he's building a tweed clone for me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
RippingRudy said:
Another builder I know of is Glenn Morris in Welland, Ontario. His amps are used by the Trews among others. He is also a wicked good tech who has fixed a number of my blown up amps. www.morrisamps.com
Thanks for the heads up Rudy. I have a couple of heads I need some work done to, and I live in Welland.

Cheers:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh my goodness, no one's bothered to mention one of the best known Canadian makes from the 70's???

Garnet; out of Winnipeg. The flippin Guess Who used his stuff!

www.garnetamps.com

I just wish I could get my Deputy Head & cab in to Gar himself to give it a once-over and perhaps sign the back for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope I'm not pushing the rule of 'blatant advertising' :eek:. In the spirit of the thread, I thought I'd throw my name into the fray.

http://www.avalancheamps.com

I get most of my parts from the Weber folks, then I upgrade and tweak to my taste (and/or the taste of the client). In fact, I found the link to this forum over on the Weber bulletin boards.

I don't anticipate making much (or any) profit - I just really enjoy building and playing great amps; selling them helps support my amp-geek habit. Customer satisfaction is more important to me than bottom line (i.e. the Ted Weber business philosophy).

This isn't my only line of work - my day job is as an avalanche tech at Panorama ski resort, and that allows me to pay the bills and spend the rest of my time building amps.

Cheers,
Darren Burt - Avalanche Amplification
Invermere BC

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Daz-o-matic said:
I hope I'm not pushing the rule of 'blatant advertising' :eek:. In the spirit of the thread, I thought I'd throw my name into the fray.

I get most of my parts from the Weber folks, then I upgrade and tweak to my taste (and/or the taste of the client). In fact, I found the link to this forum over on the Weber bulletin boards.

I don't anticipate making much (or any) profit - I just really enjoy building and playing great amps; selling them helps support my amp-geek habit. Customer satisfaction is more important to me than bottom line (i.e. the Ted Weber business philosophy).

This isn't my only line of work - my day job is as an avalanche tech at Panorama ski resort, and that allows me to pay the bills and spend the rest of my time building amps.

Cheers,
Invermere BC
Well we might have to let you get away with it this time. You didn't blatently start your own thread.

PS) Sign up for the Calgary Amp fest notification in the Events section. If you are free when the event actually happens try and come into town and have a bunch of gear heads try your stuff.

Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Well we might have to let you get away with it this time. You didn't blatently start your own thread.
Jeff
And I wouldn't, either. On some of the other forums I frequent, that kind of thing is tantamount to beating up kittens and kicking puppies.;)

Thanks for the heads up on the amp fest!

Cheers,
Daz

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
London Power

I exchanged a couple of emails with Kevin O'connor the other day and it sounds like he's jumping back into the manufacturing fray soon.

I just sold my Studio amp and Sustainor pre-amp a few weeks ago, and I'm missing them already :( My only amp these days is a Stephenson LJ-15 and it's a great amp IMO.

I'm working through the Canadian amp builders, so I might have to try a Peters next :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Daz-o-matic said:

Cheers,
Invermere BC

Ever done any bass stuff? All tubes, or do you/can you make hybrids?

1 - 20 of 215 Posts