The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Canada World Cup Soccer?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dgreen 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'm cheering for them. I enjoy watching the international tourneys and qualifiers, and having the Maple Leaf there will be cool, but regular games are like watching paint dry for me. Great athleticism but I can't understand how the play develops from the numerous passing and swinging the ball side to side.

#6 ·
My take, with a son playing high up in his age group... Very high quality soccer programs, from very young on up through university, have really taken hold in the last 20 years in the whole country. Top level teams from U12 and up are coached by full time professional coaches and trainers.
And lots of kids playing...
I think coaching of the national side itself plays a role too. Herdman helped steer the women’s team from very good indeed to “Holy Shit!” The men haven’t started with the same standing and I doubt they will meet with similar results but qualification alone will be a massive achievement. Qualifying in CONCACAF for anyone beyond the US and Mexico is a Herculean task.

#5 ·
My take, with a son playing high up in his age group... Very high quality soccer programs, from very young on up through university, have really taken hold in the last 20 years in the whole country. Top level teams from U12 and up are coached by full time professional coaches and trainers.
And lots of kids playing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.