The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
G

·
washburned said:
I read somewhere that Neil Young only uses well played in strings on his famous "old black" Les Paul. Keeps his guitar techs busy playing in strings. Tough job, but somebody's got to do it!
Satriani has also said he prefers old strings and only changes a string when one breaks. I can't remember where I read that article now. Might have been a Guitar Player article.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
washburned said:
I read somewhere that Neil Young only uses well played in strings on his famous "old black" Les Paul. Keeps his guitar techs busy playing in strings. Tough job, but somebody's got to do it!
Neil's acoustics get new strings after every gig. His tech is quoted as saying that he is pretty rough on them and they are basically shot after a gig.
I have also read somewhere that Van Halen boils his strings. I have no idea why or what benefit that may have.
For me with strats and teles old strings don't have that nice chimey sound that goes well with single coil pickups. After putting on a new set of strings that have had there life prolonged a little longer I always wonder why I hadn't done it sooner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can definitely tell the difference between having an old set in, and throwing in a new set...the new ones ring out, almost like they're alive. And I use EB Regular Slinkys also.

It's a question of feel, but maybe your strings just haven't gotten old yet? How long have you had them in, and how often do you play?

Either way, a new set of strings costs about 6$ depending on the kind...not that much dough :rockon2:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.