The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New strings and old strings?

Because I just changed mine and they sound exactly the same, other then that wierd ringing sound. Are they still suppose to sound the same? I never really payed attention to the sound that much when I would change them before.

I

·
0 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Definitely. New strings are bright, a little more ring to them and stiffer. Maybe it's the brand you're using?

·
Registered
126 Posts
yup i can.
new strings are in the package and i give money to the guy at the store for them.
old strings are on the guitar and have been subjected to various forms of torture.
seriously there is zing and brightness to new strings that dissappears when they get old and dirty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To me it's more of a feel thing. On new strings I can feel the windings easier, whereas worn strings feel a little smoother. Probably all the dirt, skin and oil they accumulate over time.

I

·
0 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Well...so much for Ernie Ball Regular Slinky.
DR Tite-Fit are my favourite strings. Slightly heavier bottom end than D'Addario EX110's (which was what I used prior to switching to DR). I find they stay bright and clean considerably longer than the D'Addario's and I haven't hit a bum pack yet.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
maybe your strings didnt need to be changed. Cuz I can tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah, mainly in the way they feel in comparison to how they sound... but my ear probably isn't too well developed since I've only got 1 year o' experience (1 full year yesterday, go me!).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Of course . Old strings sound dull , and new (<1day) strings sound too bright and metallic . Also , old strings get rusty and disgusting , and break .

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
violation said:
Yeah, mainly in the way they feel in comparison to how they sound... but my ear probably isn't too well developed since I've only got 1 year o' experience (1 full year yesterday, go me!).
Hey, sorry to jump into the thread, but cheers on your 1 yr. anniversary

RIFF

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
I change my strings frequently enough, so I really don't. Thirty-five years ago, before I quit for over 25 years, I only changed a string wihen I broke it. (Duuuuuuhhh!!)

But I have heard a difference when I switched brands. I went from Standard D'Addarios to all nickel DR Pure Blues. It was subtle, but noticable. Less edge, warmer. Nice.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
you lose your tone with old strings. New strings are the cheapest tone enhancement you can make.

My preferred stings are Snake Oils, but you have to bring them in from the US.

http://www.sobstrings.net/

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have very acidy sweat. My electric strings last a good week and my acoustic strings 4 hours..I definitly notice a difference with new strings as I find more bounce and don't have to work as hard to get what I'm looking for.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Stratocaster said:

Because I just changed mine and they sound exactly the same, other then that wierd ringing sound. Are they still suppose to sound the same? I never really payed attention to the sound that much when I would change them before.
New strings should be night and day. Maybe turn the gain down a notch. :tongue:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I like old strings best, not to the point that I wear through the winds at the frets or the intonation is very bad, but gunky, rusty strings sound warmer.

At this point they are pretty dead and don't sustain as long....what's the positive side to this other than the warmer tone?....."action" you can get the action a hair lower :D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
New strings should be night and day. Maybe turn the gain down a notch. :tongue:
HA...good point! You definitely notice the difference through a nice clean amp, but even with a ton of gain you should notice a touch of brightness.

I love my acoustic best with a fresh set of strings!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I use WD 40 to clean my strings..keeps them sounding bright.

·
Registered
11 Posts
maybe you need to try some brighter strings. I like GHS boomers. But yah I play a couple of gigs a week and play quite often and I like to change strings every 2 weeks or so

1 - 20 of 25 Posts