The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. I've been playing guitar for 13 years.. and I got this guitar handed down from me.. I have no idea what make or model and would just love to know.. I've reasearched the name on it and havent found anything.. my only guess would be an old gibson clone.. its a great old, about 40 years, vintage guitar.. notice the Ivory Vinework on the fretboard and CherryWood body. The only markings it are Northern and Custom.. here are a couple photos..

HEAD

NECK

BODY

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Northern was a trademark on Gibson clones that were distributed in Canada in the mid to late 70s. I believe they were made in Japan. The vine inlay was previlant in the Fuji Gen Gakkis of the 70s..............

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Worth is what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller. It is dependant on so many factors. I imagine quite a few collectors would want it................

·
Registered
76 Posts
Les Paul Clone

The wood species is not likely to be cherry. It looks more like Mahogany (possibly with a cherry finish). Most Les Paul style guitars are made from mahogany. Through a couple of good pickups into it, change the tuners for Grovers, get a proper setup and you might have a real player on your hands.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Actually during the late 70s, Fuji Gen Gakki was making guitars from some strange woods. One popular wood for them at that time was Cherrywood. Most though were mahoghany bodies with another wood as the top. I have seen quite a few that had mahoghany bodies with birch tops as well..............

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
its already a player.. ive worked with whats on it.. tweaking the pickups.. distances etc.. i was thinking about new pickups.. but than i will probly get vintage.. the vintage sound just appeals to me.. i run this through an old Jen "Mister Cry Baby" (also passed down, had to fix it myself).. and a Marshall MG100.. and advice for what kind of amp.. i was thinking marshall and vintage.. thanks for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
northern.

i remember there was a guitar shop in bronte, ontario that sold northern guitars in the late `70s. one that i remember was a maple bodied les paul with a maple neck and red maple leaf fret markers. it was a very heavy guitar.
the northern in the picture looks as if it might be cherry stained to look like mahogany. difficult to say with certainty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts