The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
I just did my renewal a few days ago. I didn't want a PayPal account and I didn't want to have my credit card deducted automatically on an annual basis (that was my understanding...however, I might be incorrect about that) for the GC Forum subscription. I opted to get the PayPal account and eliminated my credit card information from the account after I renewed my GC Forum subscription. Like others, I wasn't pleased with the lack of options.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Gonna be the same for me too. I used to send Scott the payment via emt , but I am not signing up for PayPal.

·
Administrator
263 Posts
Sorry guys. We're not set up to take direct payments from users and I'm not allowed to authorize it. We developed our own payment software, but it's not ready for deployment yet

Kevin

·
Banned
357 Posts
So , any thoughts on what we can do Kevin ? Is it either open a PayPal account or not be a gold member ? That's harsh , lol !

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
We developed our own payment software, but it's not ready for deployment yet

Kevin
What?!!! That’s insane. You want to have another spot for us to have our CC info stollen and with your organization’s technical track record? And you want the liability of being sued for that when (not if) it happens? Again, that’s insane.

Use Stripe. Everyone sane does.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I’m more surprised you guys don’t have Paypal. How do you re-up your Starbucks account on your Apple watch automatically? :D

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I'm feeling the same way.... have been paying for a gold since I found this place but I dont like the PayPal auto renew idea......

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I’ll be the last to defend the practices of this organization, but ... even if they force the PayPal subscription on us with this setup (unwittingly*, I suspect), you can immediately go to your PayPal account and disable the subscription so that it will not renew automatically. Then rinse and repeat next year.

* “unwittingly” = “never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence”

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m more surprised you guys don’t have Paypal. How do you re-up your Starbucks account on your Apple watch automatically? :D
I have had a Paypal account for many years. They are a rip-off with fees, holding payments for several days, reversing payments with no notice and a very poor appeal process, outrageous exchange rates, etc., etc. About a year ago I vowed to never use them again. My stepson worked in their call centre for a while. He said they were incentivized to get people off the phone as quickly as possible without settling anything in the custmer’s favour. I have a $25 gift card from a NAPA from my last brake job. I’ll see if I can set up PayPal to use that.

·
Administrator
263 Posts
So , any thoughts on what we can do Kevin ? Is it either open a PayPal account or not be a gold member ? That's harsh , lol !
You don't actually have to sign up for Paypal. If you follow the link for upgrades you'll get that as an option, or get the option to pay by credit or debit and Paypal will just do the processing part.

What?!!! That’s insane. You want to have another spot for us to have our CC info stollen and with your organization’s technical track record? And you want the liability of being sued for that when (not if) it happens? Again, that’s insane.

Use Stripe. Everyone sane does.
Personally, this is the first time I've heard of Stripe. I don't know if we've looked into it before or not, but I'll ask around.

We don't want CC info stored here on the site, which is why we use Paypal. We aren't insured to store it, and while we are secure, I'm not sure we have the necessary parameters to safeguard that level of sensitive information.

Can we just mail you a cheque?
We used to. Not allowed to anymore. Too many cheques, too many different sites in our network, too easy for things to get misfiled or lost. Was more of a liability for us then an asset. Sorry.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't actually have to sign up for Paypal. If you follow the link for upgrades you'll get that as an option, or get the option to pay by credit or debit and Paypal will just do the processing part.
I just tried it again. That does not work. There is no option except to sign up for PayPal. On other sites I have seen the option you suggest but in this case It will not continue unless I sign up for PayPal.

EDIT: It works the way you suggested if I want to purchase a supporting member. It does not work if I want to subscribe to a gold membership.

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
I just tried it again. That does not work. There is no option except to sign up for PayPal. On other sites I have seen the option you suggest but in this case It will not continue unless I sign up for PayPal.
This is what I encountered. I blamed it on my lack of computer skills.

@GCAdmin1 Could someone in your office please try to subscribe without signing up for Paypal... and could you please report back to us. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts

EDIT: It works the way you suggested if I want to purchase a supporting member. It does not work if I want to subscribe to a gold membership.
This is entirely plausible if the Gold Membership was set up as a subscription (by VS) in PayPal — can’t have a subscription if PayPal doesn’t know who you are.

·
Administrator
263 Posts
I see. That's because it's trying to set you up with a auto-renewable subscription.

I've added a "Single Year Purchase" option to the Upgrades Page. You should be able to use that to get Gold without getting a Paypal subscription

Let me know how that goes

Kevin

1 - 20 of 47 Posts