The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had many many amps. I have never changed a speaker as I have always found I can dial in a useable tone. I guess I am not picky.
I bought a Mesa Boogie Express 5/25. I wanted something small, I have a tiny space in my livingroom. I wanted reverb and a wide variety of gain. I don't have room for pedals.
I also wanted something that if I do the occasional jam it would be loud enough.

The Express is perfect. It sounds pretty good. But, there is a bit of highs that sound a bit shrill. The treble control does not really tame it and I like my tone bright. But there is just something about the brightness that is not pleasant.
I have read the Tone Tubby is a good replacement but they are not cheap.
I just don't want to spend the money and find there is no difference in tone.
I know many of you swap speakers on a regular basis, but I want really honest opinions.
It would be great to hear from someone who has swapped a speaker in a boogie.
Cheers

·
Registered
24,395 Posts
If you shop around for quality replacements of the desired size, you can usually find an accompanying graph of the frequency response, showing peaks and rolloff points. I wouldn't rely on them completely, since frequency response can vary with amp output level. But they will provide some clues about how much top end one might expect in general.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the stock Mesa Boogie Vintage Black Shadow speaker, 10". The amp is a few years old, but was not used much.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,824 Posts
The short answer is yes. In general, the speaker is the most important part of your signal chain when it comes to the final frequency response curve of what you hear. Changing the speaker is probably the easiest and most significant mod a person can do to shift that. The main problem is the difficulty predicting what a given replacement will do in your particular cab compared to the stock speaker. Best of luck with the mod!

·
Premium Member
17,338 Posts
The main problem is the difficulty predicting what a given replacement will do in your particular cab compared to the stock speaker. Best of luck with the mod!
Words of wisdom here folks.

It is a fun ride, but you don't always arrive at the destination you originally had in mind.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Typically Mesa does a pretty good job with their stock speakers (my opinion anyway). I'd give it a chance then maybe research some other choices. I've heard that the hemp speakers are a little dark. Personally I like the Eminence Rajin' Cajun - it really helped with brightness in my Princeton.

Is there a Mesa forum you can ask on?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might want to make sure that speaker is fully broken in... highs can be unpleasant in some speakers before they are
You might have something there. I got it from the original owner and he said he barely used it, and it was home use at low volumes. I have only used it for around an hour or so with the volume on 2.
I doubt its ever been played past 2-3 on the volume.
I guess I should try cranking it a bit!
Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,879 Posts
Speakers probably make more difference to final tone than most other mods. Certainly more than changing tubes or transformers or bias points, etc.

If, after you're sure it's broken in, it's still too bright, you'll probably want to research darker speakers. But buying speakers is like buying tires for your car, it's all word of mouth and you won't really know till you try 'em/it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts