The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this incredible well crafted Black Indie IPR that plays like butter on an ebony fretboard and oozes powerful tones. I'm more of a P90 aficionado, so those humbuckers are a kind of overwhelming for me. It is a little heavy compared to my other ones, but it's not the deal breaker.

I dunno, it doesn't get played that much but it's a real beauty to handle and to look at, hanging there with my other guitars. The best built guitar I have ever had. I probably never will get something of that level if I sell it. Do I need to keep it ...

I know it's not for you to decide, but have you ever felt something like that ?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
No, a guitar can not be "too good you" (or I would be restricted to air guitar). If you enjoy owning it then keep it, simple as that. Same goes for all hobby related purchases, do you have to be a scratch golfer to own a set of nice clubs? NO. Do you have to be a French trained chef to own Le Creuset cookware, hell no. If you want to burn a chicken in an $800 cast iron pot than do it... if I want to butcher back in black through 5K worth of gear I will... and do :)

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
No a guitar cant be too good for me. It can be too expensive though.

That being said, if something sits then I usually just move it. If you sell it you probably wont miss it inside of 4 weeks.

L

·
0 Posts
All of my guitars are players with war wounds (bumps/dings/chips).
I traded my mint condition FSR Ivory Strat because I was afraid to play it. lol.

I also have an old BC Rich Eagle bass with a bunch of knobs/switches/tone options that I'm looking to
trade for a more traditional passive bass because I don't think that I could play it to it's full potential.

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
I also have an old BC Rich Eagle bass with a bunch of knobs/switches/tone options that I'm looking to
trade for a more traditional passive bass because I don't think that I could play it to it's full potential.
But when you think about it, how many things in our lives do we use to their full potential? People have features on cars, phones, microwaves, TV's, even themselves that they dont use. That doesnt mean they dont get satisfaction out of those things.

If you set your amp to your chosen tone and set your guitar to the same, you arent getting the full potential of your gear because there are other sounds available. But I bet you still play them! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I had a chat with member @faracaster a while back and he mentioned to me that he had a Gustavsson semi hollow (it might have been a Dotmaster) that he thought was too much guitar for him. Not $$$ wise - he had a rational for that statement but I can't recall the details and it would be good to get Pete's thoughts on this topic.

I typically feel like this with good jazz boxes. I had a really nice L5 for a very brief time and thought it was way too much guitar given my limited chops.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I don't think it is anything to do with how "good" a guitar is. Some guitars you just don't bond with. I have no explanation why or reasons for how it happens but some guitars you play them once and there is a bond. If that bond is not there I usually move the guitar. The next owner may very well bond with it.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I would think the opposite, you might be too good for a guitar, not the guitar too good for you. You tend to project who and what you are in the way you drees and as a musician in the quality gear you use. You can buy a $100.00 guitar and a $49.99 amp from Walmart, your playing may be fantastic, people will still see a second rate player in their opinion. I know that's stupid, still from my years working with people out in public you project to them what they in their minds think you are, using what gear you can afford. The guitar may in your opinion look to good for you, it's not, just play the hell out of it and enjoy yourself.
:)

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Ha. I love this question. I rarely play my "good" guitars for a couple of reasons. First of all, I'm always afraid I'll damage them but, more importantly, I always think about the guys that paved the way for the music I love and go, "Was Steve Jones obsessing over fretboard material or Nashville VS Memphis when he pounded out the 3 chords in 'God Save the Queen'?" It's never a question of "Do I have the skills to own a good guitar," it's more about the necessity.

For the most part I play a $500 Parts Cabronita while the "good" stuff sits in a closet. Perhaps it's time to sell some guitars :)

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
I only play the one that I like playing at a particular moment.So a lot of them are not being played. The type of music I'm playing also dictates what guitar I use. But I also got guitars that I have only played for an hour or two and I've had them for years. :D

L

·
0 Posts
For the most part I play a $500 Parts Cabronita while the "good" stuff sits in a closet.
Perhaps it's time to sell some guitars :)
I think that I'm at that point. Not just guitars.
I've been looking at the clutter in our home and thinking that I have 'too much stuff'.

·
Premium Member
17,552 Posts
Interesting thread. I am a bit of a minimalist and prefer a "simple" approach to many things. Some would refer to me as weird (or other "interesting" terms...LOL).

I've been looking at the clutter in our home and thinking that I have 'too much stuff'.
Much like @laristotle, I thought I had too much stuff that I wasn't using and decided to sell it. This included electric guitars and amps, as I decided to go acoustic (for now...never say never...LOL). I sold about $7,000.00 worth of "stuff".

In conclusion, I would say to the OP that no guitar will ever be too good for you. As others have mentioned, it might be a guitar that you spent more on than you feel comfortable spending/affording. So what! You can always sell it and get something else of a lesser value.

Be responsible to your other obligations, spend what you are comfortable spending, enjoy the journey and don't look back.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I have way too much stuff / clutter and it has to go. That includes vehicles as well but I've moved some of them.

As for guitars, well I'm keeping the good ones.

I never go on trips or nuthin and I drive a cheap truck every day so having a few decent guitars ain't going to put me in the poorhouse.

But I have a 1974 Ovation Balladeer electric and a 2000 Norman B20(6) that I'd like to get rid of just to make more room around here.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You bet ya. Some guitars are too good for some players. Some top end or even mid range guitars are very touchy to play and usually have a great pair of pup's which pick up everything . Turn the amp way up on a clean channel and watch the people run. I can get away with a lot more with my MIM tele than the MIA strat. Strat has a lot better clarity in the tone which picks out all the finger noise when loud.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think I had something resembling a similar experience to the OP when I bought my first Taylor acoustic, an 814CE Limited.
It was by far the best playing acoustic I had ever played and what's more it was (still is) the best sounding guitar I had ever heard, let alone played.
One Sunday morning I woke up and had a coffee while staring at it.
I could scarcely believe it was mine.
It seemed like a dream somehow, like I was gonna wake up.
It's still the best sounding and best playing guitar I've ever encountered but the "worship" period has passed and now it's a tool in my toolbox.
My best tool but still a tool.
I dunno, maybe that's kinda where the OP's head was at.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Not too good, just too rich for me.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not too good, just too rich for me.
There, that could be it :)

But I am not afraid to nick, bump or scratch a guitar. An instrument is meant to be played, and shit happens on the way. I'm comfortable with that concept.
And I will never leave a guitar in a case or in a closet. Never. That's not what they're meant for. I don't even own a hard case ... just two soft ones.

I am waiting on a set of great PAFs I won. They're programmed to go in the SG, but I might try them in the Indie first, to see if it makes it more attractive. If not, it will have to go.

Anybody interested ?

Well ... not yet.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Maybe? I had a Jackson Dinky. It was setup to shred and shred it could. I couldn't. Maybe that guitar was to good for me or maybe it was just the wrong tool for the job? It sounded like ass when I played it the way I play guitars.

With acoustics, I expect there is even more nuances to playing a guitar to the guitars abilities and those skills may not be in a persons arsenal. Again, is that guitar to good for them or the wrong instrument for the job?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts