The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to upgrade our video recording setup for the band.

Currently our options are a Hero 7 black (top end of budget) or two cheaper cameras. I'm hoping some of you have real world experience with GP alternatives.

I'm looking up reviews on various cameras. Our main concern is handling the high volume of a live show and battery life. We've been tracked at 115dB or more. 4K and remote control via app is a plus but 1080P is what we're running now (hero 4 silver). Removable battery definitely a plus!

What say ye?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I think rather then looking for a video camera maybe you should look at a video student who may do it for free just to be able to capture something different and because he is a student he would have access to some higher end equipment that would do a better job at splicing and mixing and computer sequencing. just a thought to consider

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
To shoot in 4k you need to use a tripod or a gimble as most of the cameras under 1k in price have horrible image stabilization. It's just that 4k is so sharp you need to be a rock when recording. A gimble will run you 750 CDN+ for a decent one. A tripod 100 for a decent one.

Sony RX100v
Sony A6300 has interchangeable lenses like a 35mm not sure if these are in your budget though. Both cameras are around the 1k mark

I always look on ebay for batteries I need for my electronics. I always look for the highest Ma rating I can find and buy a few. If the battery is external you can usually go pretty big, but if the battery is internal you will be limited as the physical size may increase. My palmcorder came with a 2000Ma battery but I was able to find a 6000Ma battery which was twice the size. Lasted forever. It was twice the size but the design allowed for oversize batteries.

L

·
0 Posts
I use a Zoom Q2N mounted on a tripod with a power bank.
I can record 4 hours and use ~30% of the power.

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think rather then looking for a video camera maybe you should look at a video student who may do it for free just to be able to capture something different and because he is a student he would have access to some higher end equipment that would do a better job at splicing and mixing and computer sequencing. just a thought to consider
We mount it to a stand and play our set. No extra personnel required :).

To shoot in 4k you need to use a tripod or a gimble as most of the cameras under 1k in price have horrible image stabilization. It's just that 4k is so sharp you need to be a rock when recording. A gimble will run you 750 CDN+ for a decent one. A tripod 100 for a decent one.

Sony RX100v
Sony A6300 has interchangeable lenses like a 35mm not sure if these are in your budget though. Both cameras are around the 1k mark

I always look on ebay for batteries I need for my electronics. I always look for the highest Ma rating I can find and buy a few. If the battery is external you can usually go pretty big, but if the battery is internal you will be limited as the physical size may increase. My palmcorder came with a 2000Ma battery but I was able to find a 6000Ma battery which was twice the size. Lasted forever. It was twice the size but the design allowed for oversize batteries.
We are hoping to find something with a battery that can be swapped. We have a stand we mount our Hero 4 to. The stabilization of the 7 black is one of its appeals. Still the same 2 hour battery life though.

I use a Zoom Q2N mounted on a tripod with a power bank.
I can record 4 hours and use ~30% of the power.
Does it record HD like the others we're looking at?

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The zoom doesnt get the greatest reviews unfortunately. Still seems to be 2x Yi 4K+ or one hero 7 black.

L

·
0 Posts
I wasn't really looking when I found it at a good price.
It suits me for now.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
one of the places I play at that the vid production is top notch and always impressive, dude just got back to me this morning. he uses a combination of equipment, Sony A7S2, Sony A6300 and A6500. I've seen a couple of different handheld stabilization units employed, single hand and a longer two hand bar system. he walks around us a lot and does some trippy dance moves. sound is patched in during editing is my guess. I have also played while a dude filmed with a Canon D6 and a larger mic on top of it. seemed to work fine

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
gimbals are freaking cool. You can jump up and down, do all sorts of things and the camera stays exactly where it is pointed. Out of my price range though

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gimbals are freaking cool. You can jump up and down, do all sorts of things and the camera stays exactly where it is pointed. Out of my price range though
Yeah the hero 7 black is supposed to be gimbal-esque. We are going with the YI 4k+. If it doesnt pan out we will get the 7 black.

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
I'd PM Dale who posts videos on this forum. Their videos are amazing and if you could make videos like that, I'm sure they would be amazing also. I'll be watching.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
On a budget, the Canon ELph 360 HS.
Light, good battery, mountable & 1080.
841D395C-8D8A-4C04-B93F-2736B53D2D7B.jpeg

Reactions: Budda
1 - 13 of 13 Posts