The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just wondering where you get your gear from. These are the stores that I know.

Steves
Songbird
La music
Wallies
Long and Mcquade

Does anyone know anything about "Allegro music" or "12th fret"? Aswell, Do you guys know where I can get the best deal on a Vox ad15vt?

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says that under retail they only sell Koch and Polytone Amplifiers. Possibly in the actual store they will have much more of a selection?

·
Registered
50 Posts
SnowBlind said:
It says that under retail they only sell Koch and Polytone Amplifiers. Possibly in the actual store they will have much more of a selection?
I'm not sure about their new amps. It could be that they just can't list all of the companies they deal with. I do know that they always have a fairly good selection of old fender amps at reasonable prices though.

You'd be best just to give them a call and ask, or hopefully someone will know better than me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Songbird
La music
Long and Mcquade
The Guitar Shop
12th Fret (a little bit too far for me)

Those about the only stores I go to in Toronto. I appsolutly hate dealing with Steves music.

Now days, if i need to get something, I check at www.axemusic.com... they're located in Calgary but give excellent service.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...there is a great store for used instruments in scarborough called "encore music". its located at the corner of danforth avenue and danforth road, and the owner is dave duvall - he is also a player. i go as often as possible, and i have scored some amazing deals there. also a good place to sell your gear on consignment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Steve's?

Duke of Metal said:
Songbird
La music
Long and Mcquade
The Guitar Shop
12th Fret (a little bit too far for me)

Those about the only stores I go to in Toronto. I appsolutly hate dealing with Steves music.

Now days, if i need to get something, I check at www.axemusic.com... they're located in Calgary but give excellent service.

Steve's had a bad rap for customer service about 2 years ago, but have you been there lately? I shop there all the time and they are very friendly and helpful. My understanding is that they routed out the bad elements some time ago.

Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
cohenj said:
Steve's had a bad rap for customer service about 2 years ago, but have you been there lately? I shop there all the time and they are very friendly and helpful. My understanding is that they routed out the bad elements some time ago.

Jeff
hey Jeff,
No i havent been back there. I've had bad exprience dealing with their salesmen and I dont like that.

I think they should be nice to everyone whether they're buying stuff or just browsing.

but anyways.. No i havent been back there. I am worried to go back there and deal with one of their bad staff and this time loose it and do something bad. But if your saying they "got rid" of the bad elements, then maybe I'll give it a try sometime again if I am down there in that area.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Duke of Metal said:
hey Jeff,
No i havent been back there. I've had bad exprience dealing with their salesmen and I dont like that.

I think they should be nice to everyone whether they're buying stuff or just browsing.

but anyways.. No i havent been back there. I am worried to go back there and deal with one of their bad staff and this time loose it and do something bad. But if your saying they "got rid" of the bad elements, then maybe I'll give it a try sometime again if I am down there in that area.
They've been very helpful and friendly the last few times i went there. And anytime i've had questions about gear even though i said i wasnt buying anything they answered them without sounding like i was wasting their time. My only complaint is i think they have TOO MANY helpful people in there now, it seems like every time i turn around another employee is there asking if i need help with anything

I personally like Long and Mcquades for new gear and Capsule music and Songbird for Used gear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i like pongetti's music in hamilton. they're nice guys and their prices are better than L&M. I get most of my stuff from lakeshore music because it's the closest. i got my amp, electric, and acoustic there

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...for anyone in the area, i'd like to recommend kaos music at 3052 Bloor Street West near the Kingsway.

the manager, lou roppoli is a player (house of not) and a super guy.

they deal mainly in non-fender and non-gibson lines, although they have epiphone and will probably upgrade to gibson soon.

they have several g&l models in stock, lots of great amps and pedals and excellent prices. more to the point, lou is easy to talk to, if you get my drift.

i've been trying to get him to set up a deal with heritage guitars...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love hanging around the 12th Fret because they have the best vintage selection in town, far as I'm concerned. Nothin' but quality. They also carry a lot of more reasonably priced stuff. As for amps, for the most part they carry Traynor and Fender I'd say, but I've seen small Marshall's, Vox etc. Always something there to check out, no matter what your price range. They are not the least expensive, but I think they have the best techs in town and provide great after-sales service. I've bought there many times. I also check out The Guitar Shop in Port Credit, and have bought there. Good folks, and good prices I think. Steve's has some good people, but it's always chaos in there in my experience. LA Music has a huge selection now, with 2 stores a block apart. For L&M I go to the new Mississauga store. Big Mike M. is a good guy, and they have good selection, but their guitars get a bit beat-up by customers. Their prices are good too. I find Encore a bit hit and miss. Good amp selection, but I haven't seen too many guitars I'd buy. For the off-beat stuff, definitely Capsule, and you can find deals at Songbird, both on Queen West. Can you tell I spend a lot of time looking at gear?

·
Premium Member
13,262 Posts
david henman said:
...for anyone in the area, i'd like to recommend kaos music at 3052 Bloor Street West near the Kingsway.

the manager, lou roppoli is a player (house of not) and a super guy.

they deal mainly in non-fender and non-gibson lines, although they have epiphone and will probably upgrade to gibson soon.

they have several g&l models in stock, lots of great amps and pedals and excellent prices. more to the point, lou is easy to talk to, if you get my drift.

i've been trying to get him to set up a deal with heritage guitars...
I'm just east of Toronto, so I just got out to this west store. I tried a couple of G&L Tributes (see Korean Made thread). Lou was the one that helped me out. Yes he did play the guitars I was trying and he was good, and helpful.

David noted they don't have Fender and Gibson. But they do have G&L. They also have Epiphone, Ibanez (the MIK and MIJ models), Washburn and Peavey. On the amp side they have Peavey, Traynor, Crate(?), Marshall and VOX. Been around since '89. I was impressed.

Seems like my two favourite new instrument stores are 12th Fret (On the Danforth in the east) and Kaos (On Bloor West). That's about a 45 minute uniterrupted subway ride from store to the other.

By the way, they were selling the Traynor YCV20WR for a LOT less than L&M - don't let L&M know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts