The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I have owned 3-4 of these in the past and they are great Strats. I think its a bit overpriced by a few hundred dollars but they are solid players. You can always mod it as far as pickups if its not to your liking. The last one i bought about 3 years ago was mint with case and paid 975.00 i think.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Would the OHSC be a shotgun?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Perhaps priced a bit higher than average, but not like that '79 or nothing. They are a sweet playing and sounding guitar, and I'm typically anti EMG. If I could swing it right now, I'd be paying one of you to get it for me. It is gorgeous, and a birth year guitar.

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
Actually the Ultra was the highest level production model but I digress. That's a super guitar and looks legit. The case that came with my '89 was a traditional rectangle in kind of a grey tweed look. Not sure if that changed by '91 or if it was only that way with the Ultra. I'd say the price is a bit high but i sure wouldn't sell mine for that.

Would have been nice to see the back of the tuners.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The nut on these seemed to be an issue if I am remembering right , they even made a conversion to replace this nut ,to a roller nut that fender install on the later models..
I think it’s a bit high a couple hundred atleast , the deluxe was the next model then the Ultra model was the top of the line and I think you can get the ultra for about 1600.00

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts

·
Administrator
15,983 Posts
The nut on these seemed to be an issue if I am remembering right , they even made a conversion to replace this nut ,to a roller nut that fender install on the later models..
I've heard the same complaints but I have no issues with mine really. Can be a bit of a pain when trying to thread the strings through but has been rock solid for me beyond that.

·
Registered
916 Posts
And i wouldn’t be too concerned with the quality/function of the Wilkinson nut, given Jeff Beck, the master of Tremolo, uses this nut all the time despite Fender issuing his “Signature Model” with the LSR roller nut.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
See here for some accurate price comparisons, noting these are in USF.

Xhefri's Guitars - FOR SALE - Strat Plus + Cool Guitars

If anyone knows the value of Strat Plus’ and Ultra’s, it’s this guy.

And London Guitars has a 1992 Strat Ultra for sale

Fender Stratocaster Ultra 1992 USA (Trans Blue)
Thanks for the link, methinks I have some reading to do.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played Lace Sensors, any comments on the tonal differences between Gold, Silver, Blue & Red & Silver would be appreciated.

FWIW I’m not a fan of Fender’s more recent (i.e. within the last 15 years) versions of noiseless pickups.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
IIRC...gold = a more vintage sound, blue = a fatter more humbucker esque sound, red = a hot pickup. I forget what silver was. In a three pickup configuration they were usually 3 golds or red bridge (sometimes dual), silver mid, blue neck. In two pickup configurations I only ever saw red bridge (sometimes dual) with blue neck. The red, silver, blue was a pretty versatile Strat setup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Definitely a "looker," but I'd strongly suggest playing it before buying. I had a new 1994 Strat Plus Deluxe in sunburst...LSR ball-bearing nut (terrible idea), Hipshot Tremsetter (also terrible), red/blue/silver Lace Sensors, active mid-boost pull-knob, TBX tone notch...all the goodies. They were basically Clapton signature strats without the premium price tag.

It promised to be a do-it-all guitar that could pull off single-coil and humbucking sounds, and with no 60-cycle hum. The sunburst ones were alder bodies, the painted ones were ash. I remember it being unusually heavy for a strat. The pickguard on mine was mother-of-toilet-seat sparkly pearloid. Barf.

It was the easily the most sterile-sounding guitar I've ever owned. I really wanted to like it. I liked looking at it, except for the pewter-coloured tuning keys and bathroom-inspired pick guard. I gave it 2 years, then traded it to my accountant in lieu of payment for creative bookwork.

On paper, and aesthetically, it was a wonderful guitar. If you like the Eric Clapton sound from the song, "Pretending," this is your machine. I do not.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Definitely a bit overpriced, I've seen some better deals on these recently and they aren't exceedingly rare.

One of the biggest concerns about these nuts is that they won't accommodate some larger string gauges at all, so if you ever want heavier-bottom strings they won't fit. I also think the LSR roller nuts look better.

The red pickup is quite hot. In fact, I played it back-to-back with a P90-loaded guitar in the bridge position and it wasn't that different.

For years I had the late-90's Strat Plus Deluxe with the deluxe locking "Floyd" bridge. Some people don't like that bridge, but i thought it was great. It doesn't look too different from a standard Strat bridge, but it stayed in tune great. I like to do lots of double-stops bending just one string, and Strats will often pull the stationary note flat as the bending can put enough force on the bridge to pull it forward slightly. This one did not move. I think the other Strat Plus models have a stay-trem to accomplish the same thing.

I would still have that guitar except that I could never get used to the position of the volume knob and would constantly bash it with my hand. Great guitar, loved the feel. The pickups do sound great, but I don't think they sounded much like a Strat. As mentioned, the bridge is hotter and bigger sounding to me, but I didn't find the neck pickup overly inspiring. (Now if I play a nice Strat, the neck pickup is the one I love on that guitar!)

The TBX tone control is kind of neat. From 0 to halfway it is like the full range of a normal tone knob. Then from halfway to 10 it cuts the bass. It can be a useful control if the sound is a bit flubby on the bottom.

The pickguard on mine was mother-of-toilet-seat sparkly pearloid. Barf.
Mine was Shorline Gold with the sparkly pearloid. I also did not like the guard and often thought of changing it.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely a "looker," but I'd strongly suggest playing it before buying. I had a new 1994 Strat Plus Deluxe in sunburst...LSR ball-bearing nut (terrible idea), Hipshot Tremsetter (also terrible), red/blue/silver Lace Sensors, active mid-boost pull-knob, TBX tone notch...all the goodies. They were basically Clapton signature strats without the premium price tag.

It promised to be a do-it-all guitar that could pull off single-coil and humbucking sounds, and with no 60-cycle hum. The sunburst ones were alder bodies, the painted ones were ash. I remember it being unusually heavy for a strat. The pickguard on mine was mother-of-toilet-seat sparkly pearloid. Barf.

It was the easily the most sterile-sounding guitar I've ever owned. I really wanted to like it. I liked looking at it, except for the pewter-coloured tuning keys and bathroom-inspired pick guard. I gave it 2 years, then traded it to my accountant in lieu of payment for creative bookwork.

On paper, and aesthetically, it was a wonderful guitar. If you like the Eric Clapton sound from the song, "Pretending," this is your machine. I do not.
Definitely a bit overpriced, I've seen some better deals on these recently and they aren't exceedingly rare.

One of the biggest concerns about these nuts is that they won't accommodate some larger string gauges at all, so if you ever want heavier-bottom strings they won't fit. I also think the LSR roller nuts look better.

The red pickup is quite hot. In fact, I played it back-to-back with a P90-loaded guitar in the bridge position and it wasn't that different.

For years I had the late-90's Strat Plus Deluxe with the deluxe locking "Floyd" bridge. Some people don't like that bridge, but i thought it was great. It doesn't look too different from a standard Strat bridge, but it stayed in tune great. I like to do lots of double-stops bending just one string, and Strats will often pull the stationary note flat as the bending can put enough force on the bridge to pull it forward slightly. This one did not move. I think the other Strat Plus models have a stay-trem to accomplish the same thing.

I would still have that guitar except that I could never get used to the position of the volume knob and would constantly bash it with my hand. Great guitar, loved the feel. The pickups do sound great, but I don't think they sounded much like a Strat. As mentioned, the bridge is hotter and bigger sounding to me, but I didn't find the neck pickup overly inspiring. (Now if I play a nice Strat, the neck pickup is the one I love on that guitar!)

The TBX tone control is kind of neat. From 0 to halfway it is like the full range of a normal tone knob. Then from halfway to 10 it cuts the bass. It can be a useful control if the sound is a bit flubby on the bottom.

Mine was Shorline Gold with the sparkly pearloid. I also did not like the guard and often thought of changing it.
+1 on mother of toilet seat = barf (my first guitar was a ‘73 Mustang - I wanted a black Strat)

Did some YouTubing last night & agree about the compressed/sterile tones I was hearing. I guess they’re good if you want to use a lot of gain with a Strat; I don’t, nor do I play out much, so I can deal with a little 60 cycle hum.

FTR I love Clapton, this song, this live album, but I’m not sure if I dislike his tone or his hair more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts