The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a few small bits from GFS... Not much, but figured while ordering I might grab the GFS Brighton pickups for a Brian May-ish build I'm planning. Figured get them, the wire harness and pickguard, make things easier for myself.

They offer a matched set, and a calibrated RWRP... I know I won't get May's exact sound but, of the two offerings, which would be best/closest?

Hoping to order tomorrow... Was about to order now when that threw me off a bit... I know it has something to do with noiseless operation but, with May's setup, I'm not sure how it affects things.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
i tried to look up what RWRP is. all i found was people saying they needed it or the had it, but nobody said what it is.
what is it?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reverse wound, reverse polarity. Gives you hum cancelling properties when paired in parallel.
That's all I find.... But no one says why it's good or bad.... People choose one over the other but why.

I guess the main question is since doing an homage type guitar, does May have that? I know he did some tinkering with the windings... Not sure what.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Because you never ever get single coil noise with any 2 pickups selected. Loved that in the 60th Strat I had.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
A configuration with only 1 single coil? Purists or tone hounds who insist on without? Other?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I prefer a rwrp pickup in the middle position. I don’t see any reason not to have that setup, but I consider noise cancelling on a strat to be a very important feature. I’m not sure of the differences in tone between the two setups, but I’d guess that it’s not a massive difference, and not worth the hum.

You’ll appreciate rwrp in any place with faulty wiring, neon signs, computers/TVs/other electrical equipment.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Unfortunately, the Red Special has in/out phase switches for each pickup. So I would guess, without the switches, you could get close to some of his tones with the regular set and close to others with the RWRP set.

Of course without those cranked to the nuts AC30's (running W/D/W I think), treble boosters and especially his magic fingers, you'll probably not get all of the way there anyways.

·
Registered
401 Posts
its a preference, neither is better than the other: I've tried both and prefer non-RWRP, I have experienced more "quack" and fuller midrange to the sound this way, the RWRP does sound different, its not a massive difference, but to me, its less quack, and more scooped and less presence...but again, not a massive difference.

you simply have to try it for yourself and decide. For many the decider is the hum itself, getting rid of that is worth it alone.

having said that, my best strat had fralin's with RWRP and I had no need to change it, it worked beautifully in that guitar, the 2/4 were amazing in this particular guitar, you have to try !

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
i tried to look up what RWRP is. all i found was people saying they needed it or the had it, but nobody said what it is.
what is it?
RWRP” is an abbreviation for “reverse-wound, reverse-polarity” and refers to a technique used to build pickups so that they cancel hum. ... This is the principle behind the humbucking pickup.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Reverse wound, reverse polarity. Gives you hum cancelling properties when paired in parallel.
Or series (like a standard humkbucker); either works for cancelling hum/noise.

In parallel it'll be closer to non-RWRP single coil tone (like a single pup I mean). In series it'll be hotter and a little more tonally different, more like a standard bucker (but that would also be true of 2 non-RWRP single coils.... except they'd be noisier). The various positions on a Strat, as mentionned above, are very illustrative of this. Personally, I don't think the difference is worth the noise; any nuance a non-bucking config may have over bucking would be fighting the noise floor and completely lost in a band setting, and I am not sure there really is a diff. Theoretically I think there should not be any difference (between 2 single coils RWRP vs non; there would be a diff between 2 coils of any config and 1 single) - remember that a lot of tone stuff is just in your mind (not absolutely certain about this personally as I haven't A/Bed directly). Single pickup mode would make no diff at all (the signal would be opposite phase but identical - you don't hear that) - any difference would be down to manufacturing tolerances in the RWRP pup vs the non. If you're just playing at home solo for your own enjoyment then it might make sense to go non if you just really wanna nail it and feel authentic, otherwise do RWRP for the utility. Add a series/parallel switch for versatility.

.... and thanks again there Dad.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
cool stuff. things i didn't know on top of things i already knew, help me get it quicker. thanks to all who explained that

edit: interesting how that time, google was not my friend

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately, the Red Special has in/out phase switches for each pickup. So I would guess, without the switches, you could get close to some of his tones with the regular set and close to others with the RWRP set.

Of course without those cranked to the nuts AC30's (running W/D/W I think), treble boosters and especially his magic fingers, you'll probably not get all of the way there anyways.
Switches are all with the harness... which is why I decided to get it rather than sort it out myself. Though debating between the hardness with pickguard or the harness and make a pickguard. I can find blank pickguards cut to the strat shape, I'm trying to find one with the SSS holes cut as well, simply because I want the 2 knobs like May/Kit has, but I'd rather mini-toggles than the slide switches.

BHM Style Wiring Kits

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you simply have to try it for yourself and decide. For many the decider is the hum itself, getting rid of that is worth it alone.
Unfortunately means buying a full set plus an extra... not overly priced option, but rather not have an extra pickup laying around. :D

I tried Google/YouTube and saw a few comparisons, but very poorly done... instead of doing a side-by-side, here's position 2 with and without rwrp, they did position 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then switched guitars so by then you listened to 5 positions in between. One of those, appreciate the attempt but was kinda a time waster. :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or series (like a standard humkbucker); either works for cancelling hum/noise.

In parallel it'll be closer to non-RWRP single coil tone (like a single pup I mean). In series it'll be hotter and a little more tonally different, more like a standard bucker (but that would also be true of 2 non-RWRP single coils.... except they'd be noisier). The various positions on a Strat, as mentionned above, are very illustrative of this. Personally, I don't think the difference is worth the noise; any nuance a non-bucking config may have over bucking would be fighting the noise floor and completely lost in a band setting, and I am not sure there really is a diff. Theoretically I think there should not be any difference (between 2 single coils RWRP vs non; there would be a diff between 2 coils of any config and 1 single) - remember that a lot of tone stuff is just in your mind (not absolutely certain about this personally as I haven't A/Bed directly). Single pickup mode would make no diff at all (the signal would be opposite phase but identical - you don't hear that) - any difference would be down to manufacturing tolerances in the RWRP pup vs the non. If you're just playing at home solo for your own enjoyment then it might make sense to go non if you just really wanna nail it and feel authentic, otherwise do RWRP for the utility. Add a series/parallel switch for versatility.

.... and thanks again there Dad.
Good point about being in your head... makes me think of all the threads I've read about people wanting vintage oil/paper caps for the guitar because of the 'warmth'... 100% in your head. Blind test, same guitar different caps... I doubt anyone can pick which is which.

Again, dif guitar, dif pickups, and although getting a VOX, it's a VT40X that models an AC30 so, different amp. rwrp or not I doubt either will make/break it sounding like May's guitar, since won't be the same anyways.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Switches are all with the harness... which is why I decided to get it rather than sort it out myself. Though debating between the hardness with pickguard or the harness and make a pickguard. I can find blank pickguards cut to the strat shape, I'm trying to find one with the SSS holes cut as well, simply because I want the 2 knobs like May/Kit has, but I'd rather mini-toggles than the slide switches.

BHM Style Wiring Kits
Thanks, buddy. I think you just gave me a serious GAS attack. I did not know those existed. Tres cool!

I loves me some Brian May!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, found by accident one day... also, found a spec page for the repro's of the Brian May Red Specials, which are using RWRP middle pickups.

Not sure where they are on the GFS site... on their site, search BRIGHTON and search BHM... both bring up Brian May stuff, but each brings up different stuff. Should kjust maybe a Brian section. :D

Will it be exactly like May's? no.... but 15% off this weekend and 1/3 the cost of the Trisonics.

Since I won't be sitting down with May and comparing my guitar with his any time soon, I think it'll be close enough that I'll be happy.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
cool stuff. things i didn't know on top of things i already knew, help me get it quicker. thanks to all who explained that

edit: interesting how that time, google was not my friend
Yes, that is interesting because I didn't know what it meant either but I figured you already looked and didn't find it but I thought, what the heck, I'll try and that's how I found it. You must have used a different word or something. Sometimes that's all it takes to get or not get the right answer. Here is a link for your perusal.

“RWRP” is an abbreviation for “reverse-wound, reverse-polarity” and refers to a technique used to build pickups so that they cancel hum. ... This is the principle behind the humbucking pickup. - Google Search

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Ya, found by accident one day... also, found a spec page for the repro's of the Brian May Red Specials, which are using RWRP middle pickups.

Not sure where they are on the GFS site... on their site, search BRIGHTON and search BHM... both bring up Brian May stuff, but each brings up different stuff. Should kjust maybe a Brian section. :D

Will it be exactly like May's? no.... but 15% off this weekend and 1/3 the cost of the Trisonics.

Since I won't be sitting down with May and comparing my guitar with his any time soon, I think it'll be close enough that I'll be happy.
I am also a big fan of Brian May and his unique sound and guitar. You could buy a copy. A litttle more than few bits would cost though. Castle Rocks - Antique Cherry

1 - 20 of 33 Posts