The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we heard last year Bandlab bought Cakewalk Sonar (and related D.A.W.s) after Gibson dropped it. Well now they've decided to let people download Sonar for free. Here's the link if you want to give Sonar a try:

BandLab: Music Starts Here

You do have to create a Bandlab account but it's easy enough to do. It's a little more involved than a D.A.W. like Reaper but it's not too hard to figure out.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the version available for download is the 64 bit version. I guess they're not bothering to offer the 32 bit version and of course it's Windows only. Sorry Mac users.

EDIT: Changed Bandcamp to Bandlab.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Neat! I've been using Sonar since Sonar 5, so I'm pretty dedicated to it. I've used Pro Tools on and off, but Sonar is where I'm most comfortable.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Free is the hook. There is a line and a sinker in there someplace...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if they are planning to fix the bugs on the AAX version of CA2A, time to bump my support case.
Hopefully they'll be responsive. It seems like they have good intentions.

If it's Sonar Home Studio, it's worth a look. I paid $70 CAN for my copy last year to use on my laptop.
Actually the version they're giving away is the top of the line, Sonar Platinum.

it is bandcamp or bandlab? the bandlab website looks more like Soundcloud than bandcamp...
Sorry, I corrected that. It's Bandlab.

Which version are they giving away?
Sonar Platinum.

Neat! I've been using Sonar since Sonar 5, so I'm pretty dedicated to it. I've used Pro Tools on and off, but Sonar is where I'm most comfortable.
Yeah it's different than my main daw, Reaper, but it doesn't take long to start getting the hang of it.

Free is the hook. There is a line and a sinker in there someplace...
I guess we'll have to wait and see. :) BTW the TH3 amp sims are very nice.

P

·
0 Posts
Hopefully they'll be responsive. It seems like they have good intentions.

Actually the version they're giving away is the top of the line, Sonar Platinum.

Sorry, I corrected that. It's Bandlab.

Sonar Platinum.

Yeah it's different than my main daw, Reaper, but it doesn't take long to start getting the hang of it.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :) BTW the TH3 amp sims are very nice.
Does it have the integrated Melodyne?

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I was using Platinum when my Desktop PC Crapped out. Sonar Home Studio was very similar minus a few things that I didn't use very much. I now have a new PC but I'll probably leave it as is. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it have the integrated Melodyne?
Unfortunately that's one of the third party add ons that aren't included in this version. It would have been nice to have it included with it.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Decided to download the free Cakewalk Sonar and yes, it is Sonar Platinum with all the features missing in my Sonar Home Studio. I'll use Sonar Home Studio on my older laptop and Sonar Platinum on my desktop PC. In the months that my old desktop was down, Cakewalk stopped updating it's products. I used an older version of Sonar Platinum with my Emu-1820 DAW but it required a card in my PC. The version available from BandLab is up to date and set up my UMC204HD perfectly. One of the features I missed with SHS was the ability to transpose audio files (mp3's). I used that feature to transpose songs recorded in Eb up to E. I already had a BandLab account as they were taking over Cakewalks previous customers so downloading Platinum was easy. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
One of the features I missed was the ability to transpose audio files (mp3's). I used that feature to transpose songs recorded in Eb up to E.
I use Audacity to do this. It uses less resources than Sonar and it's very quick and accurate. Just in case you need another option.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Decided to download the free Cakewalk Sonar and yes, it is Sonar Platinum with all the features missing in my Sonar Home Studio. I'll use Sonar Home Studio on my older laptop and Sonar Platinum on my desktop PC. In the months that my old desktop was down, Cakewalk stopped updating it's products. I used an older version of Sonar Platinum with my Emu-1820 DAW but it required a card in my PC. The version available from BandLab is up to date and set up my UMC204HD perfectly. One of the features I missed with SHS was the ability to transpose audio files (mp3's). I used that feature to transpose songs recorded in Eb up to E. I already had a BandLab account as they were taking over Cakewalks previous customers so downloading Platinum was easy. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome. It's too bad they couldn't have included the third party plugins but, and don't quote me on this, there's speculation online that they'll either make them available as a future download in the future or as a paid option.

I use Audacity to do this. It uses less resources than Sonar and it's very quick and accurate. Just in case you need another option.
Yes I use that as well. One of the best freebies there is.

P

·
0 Posts
I already have Platinum, but I stopped updating it a few years ago. Is this Platinum newer? Are there versions?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still new to Cakewalk in general but here's what a person who's more familiar with it says:

P

·
0 Posts
As we heard last year Bandlab bought Cakewalk Sonar (and related D.A.W.s) after Gibson dropped it. Well now they've decided to let people download Sonar for free. Here's the link if you want to give Sonar a try:

BandLab: Music Starts Here

You do have to create a Bandlab account but it's easy enough to do. It's a little more involved than a D.A.W. like Reaper but it's not too hard to figure out.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the version available for download is the 64 bit version. I guess they're not bothering to offer the 32 bit version and of course it's Windows only. Sorry Mac users.

EDIT: Changed Bandcamp to Bandlab.
So to install it I have to:
-set up an account (done)
-install Bandlab's program (done)

OK so now here is where I have a couple of questions.

When I install it is asking if I want additional content. I already have Platinum (first version Pro from a few years ago) installed. Do I want to install all the instruments, and if I do (I think I do) I don't want them on my C drive. (C is a 500 gig SSD). I have installed a drive just for sounds. Can I direct it to install there?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
BTW the TH3 amp sims are very nice.
I was curious so I downloaded it and it was surprisingly intuitive and easy to use, it has a system similar to Waves NLS incorporated in every track and the cakewalk version of TH3 has a nice bunch of amps including Orange and Marshall. I was able to scratch a demo within minutes using the included drum, bass, keyboard and string machines before I had to read the manual.

Once you have installed cakewalk you can safely get rig of the Bandlab assistant.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So to install it I have to:
-set up an account (done)
-install Bandlab's program (done)

OK so now here is where I have a couple of questions.

When I install it is asking if I want additional content. I already have Platinum (first version Pro from a few years ago) installed. Do I want to install all the instruments, and if I do (I think I do) I don't want them on my C drive. (C is a 500 gig SSD). I have installed a drive just for sounds. Can I direct it to install there?
Well I don't want to give you any bad advice. I'd say check out the Cakewalk forums and check to see what advice/instructions are there and maybe sign up if you can't find the answer:

Cakewalk Forums

I was curious so I downloaded it and it was surprisingly intuitive and easy to use, it has a system similar to Waves NLS incorporated in every track and the cakewalk version of TH3 has a nice bunch of amps including Orange and Marshall. I was able to scratch a demo within minutes using the included drum, bass, keyboard and string machines before I had to read the manual.

Once you have installed cakewalk you can safely get rig of the Bandlab assistant.
Yeah there are some really nice amp/cabinet sims included. I also like the fact that those included instruments have a built in player so you can check out the patterns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts