The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cage Your Rage: A New Initiative to Reduce Bar Violence is a public education campaign to discourage young men from fighting at bars and nightclubs.

The campaign includes radio ads, ads in the back seat of specially equipped taxi cabs and on the screens at movie theatres, and posters in bars, nightclubs, liquor stores and other licensed establishments. The ads are designed to grab the attention of young men, ages 18-24 who research tells us are fairly heavy drinkers and are often involved in violent incidents....

http://www.aglc.gov.ab.ca/responsibleliquorservice/cageyourrage.asp

What a complete load of bollocks! They're spending our tax dollars on this? Have these people ever actually set foot inside a bar and seen a fight break out? Like they're gonna stop brawling and have a nice group hug because they saw a poster - ridiculous! I honestly can't see this having ANY affect on the problem at all, I mean not even a little bit. They might as well have thrown that 800K out the window.

OK, does anyone disagree? I'll fight you right now!! :sport-smiley-002:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Cage Your Rage: A New Initiative to Reduce Bar Violence is a public education campaign to discourage young men from fighting at bars and nightclubs.

The campaign includes radio ads, ads in the back seat of specially equipped taxi cabs and on the screens at movie theatres, and posters in bars, nightclubs, liquor stores and other licensed establishments. The ads are designed to grab the attention of young men, ages 18-24 who research tells us are fairly heavy drinkers and are often involved in violent incidents....

http://www.aglc.gov.ab.ca/responsibleliquorservice/cageyourrage.asp

What a complete load of bollocks! They're spending our tax dollars on this? Have these people ever actually set foot inside a bar and seen a fight break out? Like they're gonna stop brawling and have a nice group hug because they saw a poster - ridiculous! I honestly can't see this having ANY affect on the problem at all, I mean not even a little bit. They might as well have thrown that 800K out the window.

OK, does anyone disagree? I'll fight you right now!! :sport-smiley-002:
I have to agree, most people that fight in bars are pretty drunk or have been confronted by a drunk or meat head. Last thing running through their minds is the add they saw earlier that day.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Jeez,

Do they ever think Alcohol might have something to do with the problem?

Ever see a fight break out at a weed bar? Ever hear of someone comming home after smoking weed and beating their wife and kids?

Yeah, keep spending our tax dollars on putting people through the criminal justice system for smoking weed and what you can't waste there, pump into programs like this one.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
Jeez,

Do they ever think Alcohol might have something to do with the problem?

Ever see a fight break out at a weed bar? Ever hear of someone comming home after smoking weed and beating their wife and kids?

Yeah, keep spending our tax dollars on putting people through the criminal justice system for smoking weed and what you can't waste there, pump into programs like this one.

Just my opinion.

And one shared by MANY Canadians including me. Sadly too many of them are afraid to stand up and declare that the emperor's naked.

The hypocracy is mind numbing.

Even our dang smilies are part of the problem. We have the two beer mugs, but.....

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
What sexist crap. Every fight in a nightclub my brother and I have been to was started by the WOMEN :mad:

Instigated by women maybe but generally it's drunken "men" between 19 and 30 doing the posturing and fist swinging.

There IS the odd fight between girls and those are often more violent but in my experience happen far less frequently.

·
Registered
30 Posts
...i'll get behind anything that helps to make violence socially unacceptable.

-dh
+1

The ads serve to raise awareness of the problem. I doubut they were designed to elicit a "group hug".

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
Combines three of my favorite things... at least in my younger days :banana:
Sadly (depending on how you look at it) I never really grew up.

But, I learned that there's a time and place for most things.

We used to bust a gut laughing at albums like Los Cochinos and watching Up in Smoke.

Even my parents found it funny.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm with you Paul,

There are weed bars in Amsterdam, and there was one here in Hamilton, not sure if it is still there as it poped up around the time when possesstion was decriminalized (as it should be).

With any substance there has to be moderation, and they must be used responsibly. I'm not suggesting that everyone should run around high all the time, I'm just pointing out that between alcohol and marijuana, the latter is the lesser of two evils. I'm not suggesting that all recreational drugs should be leagalized either, but I am always amazed when I talk to the European side of my family (who drink excessively by my standards) still think that weed is 'evil'.

As for the money we spend on fighting crime, it should be spent on just that. Possesing pot should not be a crime and the goverment could profit from its sale and drug related crime would drop if it were leagalized. More resources could then be put to better use in preventing harder drugs, like crack cocaine, from destroying neighbourhoods.

As for vilence in bars, I've seen my fair share as I have spent the last twenty years or so working in them just about every week end. I will say this though, I would much rather get into a fist fight than have someone pull out a gun and shoot me.

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
Make weed legal and you remove the profit from grow ops and marketing and consequently most drug crime.

It's unbelievable to me that the same judges who put people in jail for weed, go home at night and enjoy a nice Jack on the rocks or whatever their chosen libation may be, not to mention that many of them smoke weed themselves.

It's 2007. Did we not learn from prohibition?

You can grow enough weed for your own use in any back yard and still have lots of room for tomatoes.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i had begun to think that bar brawls were a thing of the distant past.

and then i played a few gigs in keswick (lazy lizard).

its like stepping into a time warp. the music, the...er...fashion "sense"...and, of course, the constantly on-the-boil mood of the young men (and women).

couldn't agree more re marijuana being completely legalized. i think most people realize its only a matter of time.

i also agree that if all drugs and prostitution were legalized, we'd have less crime, although that really opens a can of worms in regard to all the other conditions that foster crime - poverty, discrimination, gangs, poor parenting etc etc etc.

-dh

·
Registered
72 Posts
As a "young male between the ages of 18 and 24" I agree with Robboman. Since I'm still a good six months or so from being able to legally drink in Ontario, I won't claim to be an expert on the bar scene, but if anything, an advertisement telling me not to get into a fight would make me want to fight, just to spite whoever came up with the ad campaign!

That said, when I was a kid my parents instilled a simple concept in my little brain: "Don't hit." It worked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts