The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't think this is an issue but here is my question...

if i built an ABY switch to go between two sets of pedals...when i get to the end of each line, and want each line to continue down the same singular path, can i sum them easily with a Y cable into the next pedal?

i don't think it's an issue of grounding, and i don't think that it would load the line either...but...that is why i ask...

·
Registered
24,167 Posts
I would think that ideally you want to have some sort of mixing. That could be as simple as a 10k resistor in series with each input at the receiving Y junction.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Yes, at least some sort of passive summing would be ideal.... that said it would probably be fine in most cases. ... but passive resistor based summing is sooooo easy.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you're not too picky about keeping transistors out of your sound, look at something like the Boss LS-2. I bought one for some purpose years ago and always find it useful. It can be a loop pedal, a mixer or an a/b pedal. But it's too expensive new.

It's easier to think of each set of pedals as a loop.

Of course, if you have some delay you want to keep going after you switch effects paths, you would need some kind of mixer instead of a loop.

Use all of the inputs on your amp, too.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So...per my previous post...

The current plan is...build a passive A/B box that routes one way or the other...then build a passive 'summing' pedal where they come back together...like this...

I read about using 2k2 resistors... @mhammer suggested 10k which would be fine too...i should have either, and hopefully enough jacks to make what i want (a poor mans delay pedal with tails)
I understand that due to the summing ill have a little volume drop, but hopefully not enough to make it detrimental

Am i missing anything?

·
Premium Member
16,668 Posts
I'm confused - you need the Y box to get tails? Why not just get a delay pedal that has tails already? This seems like the more complicated choice, however I'm also 100% sure I'm missing something.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No...just dontvwan to ditch my dd7 to spend 2-3x that for one that will tail...when i can spend $20 and make this work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts