The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 21 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How on earth did a bear get all the way through the city to the Byward Market without being noticed.
(Please don't tell me he/she knew all the shortcuts...LOL)

Byward closed due to bear

The Canadian Press - Sep 6, 2018 / 5:18 am | Story: 235781

Photo: CTV
Ottawa police say a bear has been wandering the city's downtown.

Officers have closed off a block of the ByWard Market neighbourhood, after receiving a number of 911 calls beginning early this morning.

They say they have the animal surrounded and are ready to act if it becomes aggressive, but officials from Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources were on their way to the scene.

It's not clear where the animal came from, as the area is largely commercial with plenty of bars and restaurants.

Police say the bear has not hurt anyone, but several people spotted it roaming the area.

Social media was buzzing with the unusual story, with one user speculating that the bear is a wayward university student who "should be left alone."

·
Registered
24,359 Posts
The bear has been tranquilized and relocated. That is going to be one disoriented bear when it wakes and wonders how the deuce it got here and just where exactly "here" is.

I guess the bigger question is how it found its way to that location. As a kid, we lived about 4-5 blocks from that location, and its not exactly secluded or adjacent to any wooded area. My best guess is that whoever may have seen it meandering around downtown probably mistook it for a drunk summer student still wearing his bearskin hat after the changing of the guard.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the bigger question is how it found its way to that location. As a kid, we lived about 4-5 blocks from that location, and its not exactly secluded or adjacent to any wooded area.
That is exactly what I meant in the opening sentences of my post.

The bear has been tranquilized and relocated. That is going to be one disoriented bear when it wakes and wonders how the deuce it got here and just where exactly "here" is.
LOL ...Good one! It would be like waking up at someones place after drinking too much at a party the night before.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts

I guess the bigger question is how it found its way to that location. As a kid, we lived about 4-5 blocks from that location, and its not exactly secluded or adjacent to any wooded area. My best guess is that whoever may have seen it meandering around downtown probably mistook it for a drunk summer student still wearing his bearskin hat after the changing of the guard.
Guessing it swam across from the Quebec side. Less populated over there.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Boy, I spent plenty of nights/early mornings in that area in my late teens/early 20's and what alarms me about something like is that I'd roll out of Stoney Mondays at closing and then stumble around looking for a bite to eat...a hot dog cart was usually my goto...I can't imagine what I'd do if a bear cut the line in front me in that state. I'd be pissed off, for sure, but I'm not sure what would happen next...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would have preferred he be roaming behind Parliament Hill....
The hill is still in summer recess I believe...looking for some pre hibernation beaver tails? Maybe looking for Spaceman Music?

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Bear was tranquilized. All is well. If they had to put it down, that would have been very sad.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Bear was tranquilized. All is well.

·
Registered
24,359 Posts
Hospital food is terrible...
Hah!! That was my first thought: the garbage on St. Patrick St. has better eating than the hospital in Gatineau.

Guessing it swam across from the Quebec side. Less populated over there.
Hard to say what direction it came from. If one looks at the surrounding area ( Google Maps ), there's no real wooded area with any sort of direct access to downtown. I suppose it is possible that the bear could have climbed up from the water by Major's Hill Park, behind the National Gallery. But where would it have come from in the first place, and why wouldn't there be acceptable eatings between whatever its point of origin was and the Market area? Weird.

I still recall when we lived in Victoria how a woman came home to find a mountain lion in the living room of her basement apartment, in the James Bay area behind the provincial Parliament building. ( Victoria unique for high number of cougar sightings near downtown area, author says )

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Hah!! That was my first thought: the garbage on St. Patrick St. has better eating than the hospital in Gatineau.

Hard to say what direction it came from. If one looks at the surrounding area ( Google Maps ), there's no real wooded area with any sort of direct access to downtown. I suppose it is possible that the bear could have climbed up from the water by Major's Hill Park, behind the National Gallery. But where would it have come from in the first place, and why wouldn't there be acceptable eatings between whatever its point of origin was and the Market area? Weird.

I still recall when we lived in Victoria how a woman came home to find a mountain lion in the living room of her basement apartment, in the James Bay area behind the provincial Parliament building. ( Victoria unique for high number of cougar sightings near downtown area, author says )
Hah! You want to see cougars? Come out to Halifax and play a Blue Rodeo song at Terry's Place

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts

Teleported in by aliens maybe?

1 - 21 of 26 Posts