The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new around these parts (just arrived in Calgary from the UK) and having sold up all my gear beforehand I am desperate to find something to play on. Where are the best places to look for used gear in the local area?
  • The buy and sell forum here on guitarscanada.com
  • Local guitar shops (obvs)
  • Kijiji
  • Ebay perhaps
Anything obvious I'm overlooking here?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Occasionally you can snag a good deal at Long & McQuade, 3 here in Calgary.
Good return policy if it's not what you thought, also includes warranty for 90 days on used.
I picked up a few thing here & there, and they can get something in if you are specific.

Sent from my other brain.

Reactions: gingerbbm

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
The classifieds area here as well as Kijiji and Craigslist. There is also a Kijiji Alerts thread here which is a good resource if something is posted from your area.

But if you are a recent arrival from the UK (out of curiosity, where in the UK?) you won't be familiar with local pricing so it might be an idea to post threads here to check whether or not the asking prices are reasonable. Check the WTF Kijiji thread here on GC for examples of moronic asking prices.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
Occasionally you can snag a good deal at Long & McQuade, 3 here in Calgary.
Good return policy if it's not what you thought, also includes warranty for 90 days on used.
I picked up a few thing here & there, and they can get something in if you are specific.

Sent from my other brain.

You can extend the warranty on used stuff for 4% of the purchase price.

·
Registered
662 Posts
This forum here is actually amazing for a great deal. I don't praise this place up enough to my buddies.

If you're looking for people who genuinely love and care about the music they make and the gear they play, this is the place.

I've never gotten better deals than the ones found here, and it's great because you actually talk to other people and get genuine human connection in return.

My second go to is Kijiji, shouldn't have much trouble finding a serviceable strat in the $100 range or so; my main strat cost $80.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This forum and others, but since the Dollar dropped buying used locally seems the way to go. I like "used everywhere.com" (usedcalgary.com in your case, usedvictoria.com in mine). It's bigger in some towns than others. L&M is great too. Have cash in hand and check in once a week. I've picked up some great deals over the years on guitars and amps. The downside is you'll have to pay tax. Have fun. Lots of deals around if you wait for them.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
Kijiji has worked best for me over the years but all the ones you mentioned in your OP can get you what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
18,037 Posts
This forum is where I try to do most of my gear swapping when at all possible. I've met some very nice people who are great resources for gear-related questions through some of those transactions. I've had reasonable success on Kijiji, and I also use some buy and sell groups on Facebook.

I believe we have a few Calgarians here, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone is selling a guitar.

I'd start on the forum and Kijiji. I don't know any shops in your city but perhaps some of the other members can refer you to a shop with a good used selection.

Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
I have found this forum and Kijiji to be best source for used gear. But over the past 12 years there has been twice that I have picked something used up from a local guitar shop that turned out really well.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Welcome and yes, this forum would be my first place to shop, after that local shops. Not a fan of Kijiji.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome and yes, this forum would be my first place to shop, after that local shops. Not a fan of Kijiji.
Bad experience perhaps? I once bought a les paul copy from Kijiji for $60 and the wiring was held together with bread clips and twist ties. Unfortunately, this is the type of stuff I can't even make up...

There are some great deals on Kijiji from time to time though; I bought a fender mustang V amp with matching 412 cab and the digital foot switch all in brand new condition for $350. You can't even buy the head on L&M for $350.

·
Premium Member
12,962 Posts
Thanks all. A couple of things have caught my eye so far; have requested more info from the sellers...

EDIT: The Japanese Tele has since been removed but this Tokai LP could be good.
After spending some time here and buying some stuff, I hope you can tell us how our prices compare to what you're used to.

I have a friend who relocated from the west coast to London. Every time he came back for a visit, he had to go to Mountain Equipment Coop and buy about $1k worth of gear. He said it was at least twice as good at about half the price as what he found over there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bad experience perhaps? I once bought a les paul copy from Kijiji for $60 and the wiring was held together with bread clips and twist ties. Unfortunately, this is the type of stuff I can't even make up...

There are some great deals on Kijiji from time to time though; I bought a fender mustang V amp with matching 412 cab and the digital foot switch all in brand new condition for $350. You can't even buy the head on L&M for $350.
Haha. That's crazy!

I've had hit and miss with kijiji. A few really good guitar shops in Calgary from what I remember though

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I would also check Reverb.com. They have a nice service where you can see what price used guitars have been seller for currently.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
As far as any pricing concerns you may have, prior to pulling the trigger on something, GC is an excellent source for "real world" knowledge and experience. When it comes to getting advice here on used gear, expect a range between what might be possible to find (i.e. the lowest price ever witnessed on that type of item) and what something typically sells for (based on Reverb/feebay sales and first hand purchasing experiences).

Regardless, please know that others here have your back when it comes to finding a deal on something you're after. After all, who doesn't love a bargain??? Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Really ?

A $60 LP copy that had inside the guitar, one or two twist ties to hold the wiring together, is a bad experience ?

Really ?

Must have killed that tone ...

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
After spending some time here and buying some stuff, I hope you can tell us how our prices compare to what you're used to.

I have a friend who relocated from the west coast to London. Every time he came back for a visit, he had to go to Mountain Equipment Coop and buy about $1k worth of gear. He said it was at least twice as good at about half the price as what he found over there.

I was born here but have dual Canadian and British citizenship and have lived over there a couple of times. Some things are certainly much more expensive in Britain but other things can be much cheaper. I guess it kind of balances out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts