The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check my area's classifieds everyday, hoping to find a good deal like many people. Has anyone done some deals with people from different cities? It seems like you could easily get ripped off, is there anyway to protect yourself? Maybe have a clear email stating that this person is selling this item to me, and pay with Paypal?

Any tips would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
You take a chance doing it. Before I look outside my area, I try 2 things. First I always try putting up a WTB/Wanted to buy ad. It's surprising how often you will get a response. A lot of people don't really plan on selling stuff, then they see the ad and it gets them thinking. I usually do this on both Craigslist and Kijiji.

Second I try to buy off off sites like this that I frequent and that have some sort of a buy/sell feedback thread. And again, I try putting up a WTB ad. I use this sites classifieds, and a couple of others like the TDPRI forum. I usually look for ads from active, long time posters too because I fin dyou can trust them more.

Doing both of the above, I have never ended up having to buy blindly from a general classifieds outside of my area.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Don't think I would buy blind from a Kijiji without actually seeing the merchandise. There was an Epi SG in the Halifax Kijiji for about 6mo that was driving me crazy, trying to get a biz trip to do it, ended up just going to Halifax for a little trip and I met up with the guy, turns out he is a Trailer Park Boy, (cheeseburger guy), crazy, but the axe is awesome!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've bought and sold a few basses over the years. Sales were all over N.America. You do take your chances when you buy something sight unseen, but I've never had a problem. Make sure you get enough pictures of the item. I always speak to the person on the phone as well before shipping anything out.

I generally try to deal with people I meet on this and the HCBF forum, if not local deals.

·
Registered
137 Posts
if I was buying from an individual I would only do that through ebay where you have a record of their transactions & reputation.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
There are several small, reputable retailers online I have no hesitation dealing with either. Plenty of options besides a blind transaction through a site like Kijiji/Cragslist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts